How do I arrange for parking for guests and special events?
UBalt's parking office works with faculty and staff to arrange parking for visitors and special events at the University of Baltimore.
Planning for guest parking:
Before you fill out the form.
Special event parking can be accommodated on campus only when it will not adversely affect students, faculty and staff. If parking for your event cannot be accommodated on campus, the parking office will work with you to arrange off-campus parking.
- event date and time (this is critical)
- name and description of the event
- number of pre-paid parking vouchers (if sponsoring department is paying for attendee parking) or chaser tickets (if attendees are paying for their own parking) needed for the event; chaser tickets are required for attendees to receive the UBalt parking rate.
- date by which vouchers or chaser tickets are needed.
Faculty and staff who want to request campus parking for a special event must complete and submit the Visitor and Special Event Parking Request Form.
You can provide parking in University facilities to UBalt guests in two ways: free of charge to them or at the UBalt event rate.
- Vouchers: your department pays for your guests' parking
- Chasers: guests pay the campus rate
Guidelines from the Office of Procurement for the issuance of parking vouchers
The parking staff is not permitted to give out voucher or chaser tickets to arriving visitors.
What is a voucher?
A voucher looks identical to the tickets that people pull to park in UBalt facilities. Guests feed a voucher into the machine as they exit the garage, allowing them to exit without paying.
When would a department use a voucher?
When the department would like to provide complimentary parking for a guest or event attendee at the Maryland Avenue or Fitzgerald garages.
So my department will need to pay for the vouchers. How much do they cost?
Vouchers cost the prevailing event rate; the parking manager can provide more information. There is no processing fee.
Where do I get vouchers?
UBalt departments can notify the parking manager that vouchers are needed for an event using the Visitor and Special Event Parking Request Form. The parking staff will prepare the vouchers and provide an invoice to the requesting department.
How will my department pay for the vouchers?
University departments will have the option of paying with a University purchasing card (preferred) or by purchase order.
How far in advance do I need to request vouchers?
We require 10 business days' notice to prepare vouchers; however, advance notice of events is helpful to the parking manager to ensure that your event can be accommodated.
How can I instruct my guests to use the vouchers?
- Upon arrival at the Maryland Avenue or Fitzgerald garages, visitors pull a ticket from the ticket dispenser at the parking facility entrance and take it with them to campus.
- The department provides the visitor a voucher while the guest is on campus.
- When exiting the Maryland Avenue Garage, visitors have the option of using their voucher at the pay-on-foot machine just inside the Biddle Street entrance or at the gate in the exit lane. At either machine, visitors insert their parking ticket followed by the voucher. The pay-on-foot machine will issue a ticket that can be inserted into the gate to exit. At the gate in the exit lane, the gate will automatically rise once the voucher has been inserted.
At the Fitzgerald Garage, visitors proceed straight to the exit gate, then insert their parking ticket followed by the voucher. The gate will rise when the voucher has been inserted.
Do vouchers expire?
Yes, they expire June 30 of each fiscal year. No refunds are available for unused vouchers.
The department arranges to have chasers printed for the guests, who will use the chaser upon payment to ensure they pay only the campus visitor rate.
What is a chaser?
A chaser looks identical to a parking ticket in size and paper stock. It is fed into the machine as the guest exits the garage and will instruct the machine to charge the guest only the amount of the campus visitor rate.
When would a department use a chaser?
When the department does not wish to pay for the guest's parking but would like to ensure that a guest or event attendee who parks at the Maryland Avenue or Fitzgerald garages pays only the campus visitor rate. There is no cost to the department to obtain the chasers.
Where do I obtain chasers?
UBalt departments will notify the parking manager that chasers are needed for an event using the Visitor and Special Event Parking Request Form. The parking staff will deliver the chasers to the requesting department.
How far in advance do I need to request chasers?
10 business days' notice is required to prepare chasers; however, advance notice of events is helpful to the parking manager to ensure that your event can be accommodated.
How can I instruct my guest to use the chaser?
- Upon arrival at the Maryland Avenue or Fitzgerald Garages, the visitor will pull a ticket from the ticket dispenser at the parking facility entrance, and take it with them to campus if they intend to use the pay-on-foot machine at the Maryland Avenue Garage as noted below.
- The department will provide the visitor a chaser.
- When the visitor leaves the campus, these instructions will be followed:
- When exiting the Maryland Avenue Garage, the parking customer will have the option of paying for their parking at either the pay-on-foot machine at the Biddle Street doors or at the cashier’s window on the main level. At the pay-on-foot machine, the guest will insert the ticket, followed by the chaser, into the machine and then make payment. A ticket will be issued that can then be inserted into the gate to exit.
- At the Fitzgerald Garage, the guest will proceed straight to the exit gate and insert the ticket followed by the chaser. The screen will indicate the amount to pay, and after payment is made, the gate will raise to allow exit.
- Vouchers should not be given to UBalt students, faculty or staff who would otherwise be required to pay for parking.
- The purpose of the visit must be to further the mission of the University. Such visits would include any student-related activities, Career Center activities, official UBalt alumni activities, UBalt volunteers, meetings with vendors or colleagues to discuss academia, or UBalt business, etc. The passes may not be purchased or distributed for social visits or for the convenience of those not here to further the mission of the University.
- Any department that purchases parking vouchers will need to maintain a log of the vouchers to document when and how many were purchased, and the disposition of each voucher, including the name of the person the voucher was given to, the date and the purpose of the visit.