Skip to content

Hotel, Meal, Vehicle Use and Other Expenses

  • Hotel Accommodations

    The cost of hotel accommodations will be reimbursed on the basis of receipts. Any overage above the single room rate, which is a result of non-official traveler utilizing the accommodations, will be the personal financial responsibility of the traveler. Institutions are responsible for procedures to establish that the room rate reimbursed is appropriate.

  • Meal Expenses

    Domestic travel, meal expenses will normally be reimbursed on per diem rates for Standard and High-cost areas. Foreign travel is reimbursed at actual cost with receipts or the applicable U.S. Department of State meal and incidental rate without receipts. The Board of Regents will review the rates biennially.

    Travelers are required to provide individual meal receipts or to show a per meal breakdown for daily travel using the Standard and High-cost rates for domestic travel or the U.S. Department of State rate. A partial day’s travel is eligible for the appropriate meal (s) consumed when travel time encompasses a period of two hours before and two hours after that (those) meal (s). Institutions have the authority to determine which circumstances may warrant a high level of reimbursement and the procedure for approval. Such transactions must be accompanied by receipts.

  • Use of State Owned Vehicle 

    State (i.e. institution – and System – owned) vehicles may be driven only by University System officers and authorized institution and System personnel and only when acting within the scope of their public duties.  Students for whom the State Treasurer has issued an insurance certificate are considered authorized personnel for this purpose.  A volunteer may be considered authorized personnel only when he or she is engaged in providing a service to the institution, is not paid by the institution, and is providing the service as part of a formal volunteer program.

    Any person driving a State-owned vehicle must have a valid driver’s license, comply with all traffic laws, and obtain approval as required by University of Maryland System, or institution policies and procedures.

  • Rental Cars

    Where a car rental is deemed necessary, the institution expects the lease of the least expensive care which will accommodate the trip's requirements.  Travelers should take advantage of University System, Federal and State Government, and institution discount rates which are available.Travelers should take advantage of University System, Federal and State Government, and institution discount rates which are available.

  • Reimbursement of Miscellaneous Expenses

    Reimbursement of miscellaneous expenses such as telephone calls, laundry/valet, parking fees, and the like are reimbursable. Institution policies and procedures will define reimbursable miscellaneous expenses and specify receipt requirements. 

**Institution funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages or additional flight insurance.

** Travelers should consult institution policies or procedures governing reimbursement of Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) car rental insurance coverage.

Last Published 10/2/15