Skip to content

Verification Documents for Employment Eligibility Verification

Listed here are the documents accepted for the I-9 form. The employee is responsible for obtaining the documents. All documents must be originals, not photocopies, and cannot be expired. To obtain a replacement, you need to contact the issuing office. Replacements and duplicates may take several weeks to obtain. Please plan ahead.

Documents must be current and cannot be expired.

To satisfy the requirements, present one document from List A


  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport, with temporary I-551 stamp or I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Employment Authorization Document with photograph (Form I-766)
  • Nonimmigrant aliens authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status may present a foreign passport with Form I-94 or I-94A. The form must bear the same name as the passport and include an endorsement of the alien's status. Period of endorsement cannot be expired and the employment is not in conflict with resitrctions or limitations identified on the form.
  • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or I-94A. Form must indicate the nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Associate Between the United States and FSM or RMI.


OR present one document from List B and one from List C



  • Driver’s license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.
  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  • School ID card with a photograph.
  • Voter’s registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority
  • For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document in the above column:
      • School record or report card
      • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
      • Day-care or nursery school record
  • U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration. Card cannot specify that issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States.
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  • Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States. Must bear an official seal.
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)
  • ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  • Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security.