The UB / MTA Transit Discount Program
Ten minutes will save you money!
Maryland Transit Administration in partnership with University of Baltimore is excited to offer a pre-tax transit discount program to regular faculty and staff. Through this program employees pay for MTA passes and MARC vouchers via monthly pre-tax salary deductions.
Enrollment in the program is open until March of the program year. Below is an example of the the cost and savings:
|Monthly Transit Pass Cost||Income Tax Bracket*||Monthly Savings Estimate||Annual Savings Estimate**|
*Calculate your tax rate using your pay stub. Add your state and federal income taxes only and divide that number by your total income. The answer is your tax rate.
**Calculated based on a 10 month program.
How the Program Works
- Enrollment in the program is open until March of the program year.
- This form enrolls you in the program for the remainder of the program year,and authorizes the pre-tax deduction that coincides with your selection on the form.
- In the 2014 program your first deduction will be August 26. There will be three payroll deductions in October. Thereafter, there will be two deductions per month.
- Once enrolled, pick up your monthly pass /voucher at the Office of Human Resources.
- Your deductions end in May and you will receive your last pass/voucher in June.
Details and Requirements of the Program
- You must commit to participate in the program for at least two consecutive months.
- A minimum of 20 UB employees must enroll before September of each program year for this benefit to continue.
- After two months if you to wish to cancel your participation, you need to submit a new form to cancel payroll deductions.
- The cost of the monthly MTA pass/voucher you select will be deducted from your paycheck in equal bi-weekly deductions (twice per month). When a month has a third pay period, no payroll deduction will occur.
- Deductions occur before your earnings are taxed. This reduces your taxable income, saving you money.
- MTA rates are subject to change.