Skip to content

Time & Leave

Frequently Asked Questions List

  • Where is my timesheet?

    You can access your timesheet by logging into .

  • As an employee, what do I need to do with my timesheet?

     You need to:

    • Enter the hours you worked and paid leave hours on the timesheet, preferably on a daily basis.
              • Full-time employees report a minimum of 80 hours for the pay period.
              • Part-time employees report the appropriate number of hours as based on the prorated, full-time equivalent.
    • Complete the timesheet according to the Web Timesheet Schedule.
    • Submit appropriate documentation, in paper form, when required. Documentation is always required when employees are on Family and Medical Leave, or serving on jury duty, military duty, etc.
    • Obtain prior approval by the supervisor or HR when required (see Leave Codes).
    • Review the timesheet often during the bi-weekly pay period to ensure you have recorded the total number of hours.
  • As a timekeeper or backup timekeeper, what responsibilities do I have for timesheets?

    • Act as the main point of contact for employees' time reporting questions.
    • Serve as a guide to new employees until they become familiar with the timesheet system.
    • Answer questions regarding leave usage and work hours.
    • Ensure that all employees in the work group submit timesheets for approvals prior to "lock-out" time.
    • Review employee timesheets prior to submission to the supervisor.
    • Make timesheet entries when necessary with the supervisor's authorization.
    • Work closely with the time administrator (in HR and in Payroll) as questions or problems arise.
    • Review leave balance and usage when requested by the supervisor.
  • As a supervisor or backup supervisor, what responsibilities do I have for timesheets?

    • Authorize time worked for all employees supervised.
    • Authorize leave.
    • Authorize overtime (for non-exempts) or limited compensatory time (for exempts) on a bi-weekly basis.
    • Review employees' leave usage.
    • Edit timesheet as needed to ensure accurate reporting of time. Click here for instructions on changing time recorded.
    • Ensure that employees provide documentation for specific types of leave when required, and that employees adhere to the USM/UB/Union policies regarding leave usage.
    • Complete an employee's timesheet by the due date if that employee is incapacitated.
    • How do I complete my timesheet?

      Job aids providing the basic steps are available in PDF format.
      Exempt (EXE) Employees -- Timesheet Job Aid (PDF Format)
      Non-exempt (NEX) & Non-exempt Grandfathered (NEG) Employees -- Timesheet Job Aid (PDF Format)
      Approving Timesheets for Timekeepers & Managers -- Timesheet Job Aid (PDF Format)

    • What happens if I don't complete my timesheet?

      If you fail to complete your timesheet, it is possible that you won't receive a pay check for that pay period. If you are unable to complete your timesheet, contact your timekeeper and supervisor to arrange for them to assist you. Remember, submitting a completed timesheet is ultimately your responsibility, not your supervisor or timekeeper's.

    • How many hours do I need to record on my timesheet?

      All exempt employees and full-time, non-exempt employees must record 40 hours each week (80 hours bi-weekly), using either the hours your worked or a combination of hours worked and leave time. Part-time employees record the hours prorated according to their contract. For example, a half-time employee would need to record 20 hours each week (40 hours bi-weekly).

    • When is my timesheet due?

      Your timesheet is due at the end of the pay period .

    • When are our pay periods?

      Pay periods run for fourteen days Wednesday at 12:00 AM to Tuesday at 11:59 PM. (See Timesheet Submission Schedule .)

    • When am I paid?

      Pay day falls on the Wednesday following the end of the previous pay period. (See Timesheet Submission Schedule .)

    • What code do I enter for sick, vacation, holiday time?

      Click here for a list and description of leave codes. You can only use codes for leave to which you are entitled. For example, if you aren’t entitled to sick leave (SCK), you cannot enter that code on your timesheet.

    • What leave codes are available to use on a timesheet?

    • What type of leave do I earn?

      The type of leave you are entitled to is based on the type of employee you are, namely which pay group you fall in. Click here for a list of pay groups with leave accrual rates .

    • How often is my leave updated?

      Regular exempt, non-exempt, and faculty earn leave on a bi-weekly basis. In general, balances are updated within 24 hours after your timesheet was approved.

      Contingent II employees receive available leave at the beginning of the contract (on or about July 1st). If the contract begins after July 1st, the leave is prorated based on the remaining time of the contract. The leave is available to use at the beginning of the contract.

    • Can I change the time I recorded on my timesheet?

      Once the pay period is closed you cannot make changes to your timesheet. Consult your timekeeper or supervisor if you need to make a change to your timesheet.

      You can make changes if the pay period is open.

    • Who can answer my timesheet questions?

      The timekeeper for your department or office is the first person you should ask for assistance. You can ask co-workers for assistance but keep in mind that people may fall into different pay groups and the answer they give may not apply to your situation. You may also contact Human Resources or the Office of Technology Services Call Center .

    • How many vacation and sick days do I receive?

      The type of leave you are entitled to is based on the type of employee you are, namely which pay group you fall in. Click here for a list of pay groups with leave accrual rates .

    • What's the rate at which I accrue time?

      Time accrual is based on your pay group. Click here for a list of pay groups with leave accrual rates.

    • Am I paid for holidays?

      Holiday time is based on your pay group. Click here for a list of pay groups with leave entitlement. Click here for the holiday schedule.

    • What are banked holidays?

      These are holidays when the University is open and the holiday time is used at a later date. Three holidays each year (four during a general election year) are banked for use during the holiday break at the end of the calendar year. For example, employees are awarded holiday time for the President's Day holiday but that time is used for the holiday break at the end of the year.

    • Why is time for a banked holiday showing on my timesheet and what do I do about it?

      Holiday time (HOL) appears on the timesheet when the holiday is earned. In order to bank the holiday and use it at a later date, you need to delete it from the timesheet. When you delete it from the timesheet, the time is added to your holiday leave balance.

      To delete the holiday,click the delete link at the beginning of the HOL row. Enter the hours worked as you normally would.

      Note: Public Safety employees earn holidays based on a different schedule.  All holidays earned in a specific month are earned at the beginning of that month for use later in the year.  There may be cases when Public Safety banks more than one holiday to use later, such as January 1st and January 15th (which are earned on January 1st and 2nd each year)
    • I'm a public safety employee. When do I use holiday time?

      Public Safety employees work in a department that is operational 24 hours each day. Because of the 24/7 operation, Public Safety employees cannot all use holiday time on the day the University is closed. Your manager can coordinate with you to determine the best time to use the holiday time.

      Regular Public safety employees receive holiday time at the beginning of any month that includes a University holiday, amounting to eleven holidays (twelve during a general election year) and three administrative holidays.

      Contractual Public safety employees receive eight holidays throughout the year. Holiday time is awarded on the first of each month as follows:

      January 1 and 2 for New Years Day and Martin Luther King Holiday
      May 1 for Memorial Day
      July 1 for Independence Day
      September 1 for Labor Day
      November 1 and 2 for Thanksgiving and the Day after Thanksgiving,
      December 1 for Christmas Day

    • Why am I receiving this error message on my timesheet? (click for table of messages)

      Error Message


      Holiday usage exceeds available balance

      Holidays are pre-printed on your timesheet when they are earned. However, the holiday will not appear in your balance UNTIL the leave accruals have been updated. You may have to wait until the second day on the timesheet to SAVE.


      You may be using more holiday time than you have accrued. Check your Holiday Leave time balance to confirm you are not submitting more Holiday time than available to you.

      The time reporting code is for use by the Time Administrator/Manager/Timekeeper only

      Certain leave codes can only be used by time administrators (HR and UB payroll), or managers. For example, ACC is accident leave and must be approved and entered by a time administrator only.

        All available leave must be used before using Advanced Sick Leave. Please contact the HR office.

      This message will appear if you are attempting to use Advanced Sick Leave. HR/USM policies prevent use of this leave without prior approval.  Submit the appropriate request through your supervisor, then to HR, for approval.  The time administrator will allow use of this leave if approvals occur.  If not, you must use leave without pay to cover the time that is not covered by work hours.

      There was no comp time authorization for XXX hours. These hours have been assigned to 'NPW' Time Reporting Code.

      When an employee records hours that exceed the normal schedule, this message will display. For example, if a regular fulltime employee records 84 hours for a pay period, 4 hours will be converted to NPW. (Non-paid work.)

      Comp time is not automatically granted. If your supervisor authorizes the comp time, it will convert to comp time earned and you will see the hours on your next timesheet under the comp earned balance.

      There was no overtime authorization for XXX hours. These hours have been assigned to 'NPW' Time Reporting Code.

      Overtime must be approved by your supervisor in advance.  If overtime approval is not available, you are not eligible to work additional hours within the pay week, or bi-weekly pay period.