Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Office of the Bursar
Vacancy Number 300866
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 06/07/18 Closes: 08/23/18
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Qualifications
Applications received by July 3, 2018 received priority consideration, and we stopped accepting applications in August 2018.
We’re recruiting for a financial leader to join the leadership team in the Office of the Bursar. The Assistant Bursar will provide direct support to the University Bursar in the effective and efficient handing of student accounts receivables, third party accounts, cash management, and 1098T reporting, and leadership backup to the Bursar. The key responsibilities are the management of the staff and associated transactions, which includes the daily management of all facets of the billing, collections, payments, disbursement and record maintenance of all student accounts and related monies at the University of Baltimore. We look forward to receiving your electronic application with a cover letter and resume and learning about your interest in and qualifications for our vacancy. Please save your cover letter and resume as one document and attach it in the resume location.
• Student Finance Technology Super User – subject matter expert in use of the Enterprises Resource Planning tool (PeopleSoft) and 3rd party student support service system (CashNet). Importing of files, query and reporting of data. First line support for system issues and the reporting of technical issues to the functional team. Analysis of data for senior leadership and making data driven decisions within the office.
• Serve as the departmental liaison and to business owners for various services posted to student accounts. (i.e. bookstore credit, parking plans, housing payments, campus card, financial aid, (i.e. VA payments), functional staff, Human Resources (waivers), facilities management (i.e. MTA pass) and Office of the Comptroller (i.e. deposits, wires, etc.). Ownership for reconciliation of data posted to student accounts for these departments.
• Reconciliation of currency and transactions, which includes but is not limited to, cashiering transactions, manual adjustments made to student accounts, student refunds processed, CashNet transactions, and transactions between Student Finance and Finance System. Verification includes reconciliation through running queries, verifying posted data, writing up adjustments when necessary.
• Supervise staff including federal work study students, cashier supervisor, and other staff in the absence the Bursar or other office supervisors. Create and enforce policy and procedures for the Office of the Bursar and train staff on policy updates as needed, while ensuring compliance with all state and federal regulations.
Required Education and Experience
Education: Baccalaureate degree in Business or a related field.
Experience: Three years of progressively experience and one year of supervisory/managerial experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in a Business or a related field.
Experience: Experience working with PeopleSoft Finance, Student Finance and/or Human Capital Management modules. Experience in a public higher education environment is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and federal and state of Maryland policies, procedures and laws pertaining student accounts, receivables, collection, billing and cash management in a higher education setting.
Ability to establish goals, structures and processes which align with the institution’s long term strategic plan and vision and short term priorities. Leadership, coaching and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relations with the Comptroller’s staff, Financial Operations peers, institutional finance managers and USM colleagues. Effective operational, management and analytical skills and the ability to problem solve and make sound recommendations.
Proven applicable experience working in and extracting data from an Enterprise Resources Planning system, business analytics or other relevant system application or software. The ability to influence and lead others outside of reporting lines to achieve common goals and deadlines. Present (orally or in writing) complex financial issues to non-financial constituents. Provide clear and concise analysis and summaries of financial data, respond effectively to questions and prepare material in response to inquiries. Professionally employing inherent customer services strategies, exercising judgment, discretion, confidentiality, and leading by example. Enforce standards that promote data quality. Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to think strategically, analytically and to apply financial tools in the analysis of data.
The University of Baltimore ("UB" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices. UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
We appreciate your interest in our recruitment. Please review the information below before you visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html to apply.
We need to receive your electronic application in our system by the vacancy closing date in order to consider you for the vacancy. Information follows about submitting the electronic application and attaching your cover letter and resume.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
• Save a single PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered.
When you apply:
• In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
• Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
• Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THE FOLLOWING PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
"Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT"
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
• Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
• You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
• After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
• Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
• Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
• For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
• You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
• Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
• After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
• After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.*
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or applying for the vacancy, contact email@example.com for assistance.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
• Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
• To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
• Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
The University of Baltimore ("UB" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices.