Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Senior Technology Support Specialist
Office of Technology Services
Vacancy number 301204
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 12/15/21 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
• excellent tuition remission benefits
• outstanding health benefits plans and rates
• at least 11 paid holidays each year
• 40 days of annual, personal, and sick leave each year, including 20+ annual leave days
• great retirement plans
The Senior Technology Support Specialist serves as the technical expert for personal computing technologies at the University of Baltimore in support of an exceptional user experience for the campus community. The position oversees and advocates for desktop and laptop technologies aligned with current industry practices and university standards. It provides hardware and software support, maintenance, consultation and recommendations for future planning and development of resources. Working with the Manager of Personal Computing Services (PCS), the Specialist develops and implements strategies to enhance technology used by employees and students. They ensure that decisions comply with defined IT policies and standards, as well as industry best practices to verify these technologies are meeting the needs of the campus community. In conjunction with its manager, this position coordinates with community members to determine the needs of the staff, faculty and students and engages with them to forecast possible future technological requirements.
We look forward to receiving your required electronic application with a cover letter and resume and learning about your interest in and qualifications for our vacancy. Please save your required cover letter and resume as one document and attach it in the resume location.
Personal Computing Services Operations: Under the general direction of the Manager of PCS, participates in the daily operations of the office and support to the campus community.
• Provides hands-on assistance addressing problems or requests for support reported by the campus community in a timely manner.
• Actively takes part in tier 2 and 3 troubleshooting of computing issues.
• Provides guidance and assist in the resolution of issues escalated by technicians.
• Assists with the installation and performance of minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
• Assists in maintaining, updating and deploying computer images.
• Verifies the deployment of software patches and updates.
• Assists with the replacement of defective hardware components.
• Reviews, tests, and prepares for changes in existing computer operating systems.
• Assists with the coordination of multiple service requests.
• Delivers computer hardware to customers.
• As needed, provides OTS Call Center support coverage.
Technology Management and Administration: Recommends and assists in the development and implementation of relevant computing strategies, technologies, documentation and training for members of the PCS team.
• Assists with planning and helps implement hardware and software strategies.
• Recommends and maintains OTS standards for computing technology.
• Assists the Manager of PCS to mentor and develop team members, leads projects, and monitors tasks.
• Ensures that work and user support is done to department standards and expectations.
• Assists that reported issues are triaged and prioritize.
• Ensures that software and hardware are functional and operational.
• Verifies that service level agreements are documented, periodically reviewed and maintained.
• Regularly reviews PCS support tickets to identify trends and common issues, then assists in the development of solutions to reduce ticket volume.
• Verifies that all software and hardware components are following OTS and UBalt standards, and conform to State of Maryland security requirements.
• Communicates with the UBalt community on current industry trends and partners with them when hardware is being replaced.
• Supervises a team of student workers as they assist the PCS team with community support requests.
Technology Forecasting and Project Planning: Assists in the development of budgets and policies for desktop technology.
• Meets with the University community to discuss equipment or software requirements, specifications, and costs and to make recommendations.
• Maintains knowledge of current technology by reading industry whitepapers, evaluating new product offerings, and attending seminars and training sessions.
• Participates in University committees, task forces, workgroups, etc. related to technology initiatives and activities.
Personal Computing Equipment Ordering: Participates in all phases of the OTS computer purchase process.
• Acts as a point of contact with vendors.
• Provides recommendations of hardware standards.
• Communicates with customers who have placed hardware orders.
• Monitors the tracking and receiving of orders.
• Confirms that the Universities purchasing and receiving standards are followed.
• Ensures sufficient supplies are maintained to support the computing needs of the University.
• Assists in maintaining a technology equipment inventory and disposal of property no longer in use.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Information Technology, or a related field.
• Three years of progressively responsible related experience.
• Experience providing technology support in person, via the phone, or online.
• Experience working in a higher education environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Required knowledge of MacOS operating systems.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Strong customer-centric focus.
• Ability to provide technology support in person, via the phone, or online.
• Ability to provide technical advice for long-range strategy.
• Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make timely and well-informed decisions.
• Ability to mentor different levels of staffing.
• Strong knowledge of desktop, laptop and tablet hardware.
• Working knowledge of Windows operating systems.
• Working knowledge of SCCM, Microsoft Deployment Tools, Jamf, Active Directory, and Group policies.
• Demonstrated experience in the installation and troubleshooting of hardware components.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 products.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for covering vacations, and project and supporting the needs of the community.
• This position requires an understanding of the policies and standards in place at the University of Baltimore, the ability to explain and provide support on technology issues, and the ability to write clear and concise documentation.
• Critical thinking skills and excellent organizational and prioritization skills, including the ability to handle multiple tasks and job functions are essential for this role.
• Training skills such as ability to teach new software to non-technical personnel. Ability to stay current with the latest hardware and software developments.
• Ability to lift 40 lbs.
• Team player able to lead by example and help others prioritize daily tasks.
• Excellent customer service skills.
The University of Baltimore ("UBalt" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices. UBalt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
We appreciate your interest in our recruitment. Please review the information below before you visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html to apply.
We need to receive your electronic application in our system by the vacancy closing date in order to consider you for the vacancy. Information follows about submitting the electronic application and attaching your cover letter and resume.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
• Save one PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered.
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THE FOLLOWING PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or applying for the vacancy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
- Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
- To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
- Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.
UBalt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
The University of Baltimore ("UBalt" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices.