Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Associate Director of Facilities Management
Vacancy number 301214
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 02/23/22 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
• excellent tuition remission benefits
• outstanding health benefits plans and rates
• at least 11 paid holidays each year
• 40 days of annual, personal, and sick leave each year, including 20+ annual leave days
• great retirement plans
This position reports to the Director of Facilities Management & Capital Projects and is responsible for all physical plant operations in their absence. The primary responsibilities are coordination of administrative functions associated with supporting & managing departmental operations. Physical plant operational personnel include mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), painting, carpentry, locksmith, shipping & receiving, housekeeping, recycling, and groundskeeping. The Associate Director of Facilities Management manages departmental operational personnel & contractual support, oversees life safety systems conformance, supports physical plant managers & supervisors, and provide other duties as appropriate. The Associate Director of Facilities Management will work to implement reliable & efficient building operations, energy saving measures, evaluate environmental factors, and provide technical support of campus operations. This position interacts with internal clients and external contractors for diagnostics, planning, implementing and oversight of repair & maintenance (R&M), environmental hazard remediation assignments, and facility renewal projects.
We look forward to receiving your required electronic application with a cover letter and resume and learning about your interest in and qualifications for our vacancy. Please save your required cover letter and resume as one document and attach it in the resume location.
Plans, supervises, and coordinates, either directly or in conjunction with area managers, physical plant staff work assignments and activities. Responds to inquiries and complaints from the user departments and internal customers. Schedules and coordinates operational activities with the user departments and internal customers and provides technical expertise and guidance to staff. Provides training to staff in work methods & safety practices, and recommends areas for individual training and development. Performs assigned staff performance evaluations, disciplinary action, and hiring.
Evaluates and inspects work progress for quality control and triages staff response for normal operational and emergency needs and determine level of response required. Investigates environmental workplace hazard requests and prepares documentation reports of inspections. When required, makes determination for when to contact certified industrial hygienist (CIH) and coordinates those site visitations for testing, remediation, resulting documentation, and follow up of recommendations. Ensures compliance with projected results, code & regulatory requirements, and campus standards & specifications are met.
Develops and coordinates the computerized maintenance management (CMMS), currently SchoolDude, program for work request assignments (WO) and preventative maintenance (PM) management. Ensures timely completion of PM’s and WO’s, runs key performance indicator (KPI) reports, evaluates & adjusts existing PM’s, and develops new PM’s to assure a robust and accurate PM program. Identifies and tracks deferred maintenance, plans for equipment renewal, performs life-cycle evaluation, and asset management. Examines operational equipment and work sites to verify safe and efficient operation of equipment. Schedules and coordinates utility outages, building system shutdowns, and other operational interruptions affecting internal customers and surrounding community.
Responsible for building automation system (BAS); this includes, but not limited to, BAS front end, field controllers, and sensors. Manages BAS maintenance contract.
Prepares documentation related to purchasing and projects; recommends and supervises vendors project work as assigned.
In the absence of the departmental director, acts as department head to meet the demands and needs of physical plant. Performs other work and assignments as deemed necessary to support departmental operations.
Ability to respond to off hour emergencies and call-in requirements. Work when special administrative leave granted (university closed) and extended hours as required. Respond and assist with snow removal and inclement weather events.
Bachelor's degree in business or facilities-related field. Additional related experience can substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
• Certification in Construction Management or Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)
• Trades license in related MEP disciplinary field
• APPA certified educational professional (CEFP) or enrolled in APPA program.
5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in one of the following disciplines: commercial construction, commercial building management, or a technical specialization, with at least 3 years in a supervisory role.
Maintenance experience in higher educational setting. Building electronic controls & automation systems experience (BAS).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Commercial building mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP) systems and building electronics & automation controls (BAS)
• Commercial lighting systems and controllers
• Commercial building equipment operation (chillers, AHU’s, boilers, pumps, etc.)
• Relevant regulations regarding MEP trades & environmental hygiene (such as OSHA & ADA , environmental hazard remediation regulations)
• Environmental hazards (water & mold, indoor air quality (IAQ), asbestos) and remediation protocols
• Facility renewal and project documentation (RFP, RFQ, COM, AIA doc’s, PO’s, etc.)
• Computer software MS Office, CMMS, and spreadsheet development
• Continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes
• Liaising with external agencies, campuses, or other high-level contacts
• Read, interpret and work from blueprints, drawings, schematics and specifications.
• Address multiple tasks and contingencies
• Manage and develop trades staff
• Effectively communicate and negotiate with a broad range of internal and external individuals or agency representatives
• Read and understand manufacturer's recommendations regarding scheduled and preventive maintenance, servicing and operation.
• Prepare written reports and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Prioritize work, analyze and interpret facts, and make sound judgements
• Work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces and adverse weather or temperature conditions
• Work at heights up to 35 feet and to work off ladders and aerial lifts
• Manipulate heavy equipment, tools and supplies and/or exert force up to 70 pounds
• Work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery
• Be open minded, even tempered, and treat people with civility
The University of Baltimore ("UBalt" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices. UBalt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
We appreciate your interest in our recruitment. Please review the information below before you visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html to apply.
We need to receive your electronic application in our system by the vacancy closing date in order to consider you for the vacancy. Information follows about submitting the electronic application and attaching your cover letter and resume.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
• Save one PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered.
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THE FOLLOWING PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or applying for the vacancy, contact email@example.com for assistance.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
- Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
- To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
- Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.
UBalt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
The University of Baltimore ("UBalt" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices.