Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences
Vacancy Number 301077
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 07/02/20 Closes: 07/20/20
Salary: $52,000 - $54,500
Work with program directors to promote student success, retention, enrollment, and program completion in several key ways. Serve students in all ways related to academic advising, including assisting students with course selection and planning their progress through completion of their degree programs. Perform both academic transfer credit evaluations of new students and degree audits of graduating students. Participate in student orientation, as well as activities that enhance the academic experience and recognize scholastic achievement. Work with advising team on proactive interventions for at risk student populations. Plan and participate in routine and special academic events, programs, and recruiting activities. Provide students with information on plagiarism standards, grievance procedures, and other issues relating to the Student Handbook. Participate in proactive advising initiatives to support university retention initiatives.
We look forward to receiving your required electronic application with a cover letter and resume and learning about your interest in and qualifications for our vacancy. Please save your required cover letter and resume as one document and attach it in the resume location.
• Serve as academic advisor to assist assigned academic program undergraduate/graduate students with course selection and development of a plan of study for most efficient completion of the degree program based on students’ needs. Interpret and explain academic policies to students and faculty, including but not limited to plagiarism standards, grievance procedures, and other issues outlined in the academic catalog.
• Interpret or perform academic transfer credit evaluations of new students and degree audits of graduating students. Inform current students regarding policies transferring in credit(s) if needed while a student at UB and assists them with completing appropriate forms. Provide information about other academic requirements (i.e., placement testing, registration and withdrawal process, required grades) and deadlines that support academic success. Assist student with finding another course at another university if under special circumstances the class must be taken elsewhere.
• Collaborate with program directors and Assistant Dean on academic standing process to determine final decisions on probation and suspension status for undergraduate and graduate students.
• Work closely and communicates regularly with program directors to provide holistic support to students and provide insight on policy, enrollment management and retention issues.
• Monitor departmental website pages to ensure that the most up to date information is available for current and prospective students. Work with program directors and Assistant Dean to review and update Guides-to-Graduation and program checklists each new academic year with improvements and modifications, including any curriculum changes for website.
• Work with CPA and Merrick School on Universal Campaign to provide outreach each year to targeted groups.
• Work proactively with advising team and Assistant Dean to improve services current probation/suspension policy for retention purposes. Review academic reports frequently used by advisors to assist in ease of reaching out to students and assisting chairs and program directors in reporting. Provide outreach via email/phone to students who are on probation or receiving a FA or NS at mid-term by providing campus resources and academic success skill tips, as well as strongly encouraging one on one advising appointments regarding improving their academic success.
• Participate in student orientation and other campus activities that enhance the academic experience and recognize scholastic achievement. Provide presentations at undergraduate and graduate open houses outlining the program’s assets, requirements, and admission process as part of recruitment and retention efforts. Provide outreach via email/phone to new undergraduate/graduate admits encouraging them to register for the upcoming semester and tracking their response in PeopleSoft.
• Contribute to marketing programs and participate in the preparation of informational and marketing materials. Email students via listserv of important upcoming events on campus.
** Special hours of work required: 10 or more weekend days (Saturdays and Sundays) for advising, Orientation and open houses hosted at UB. Some evenings required also during peak times or for Open House events. Also, regular office schedule could encompass some evening hours.
Education: Baccalaureate degree in Communications, English, Business or related field/disciplines that reflect assigned academic programs and/or contribute to the incumbent’s success.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible experience working in advising or academic program support and/or coordination in a college or university or other higher education organization.
Education: Master’s degree in Communications, or other related fields/disciplines that reflect assigned academic programs and/or contribute to the incumbent’s success.
Experience: Five years’ experience dealing with areas represented by programs within a college or university or other higher education organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising principles and practices, experience in administering academic programs, ability to work effectively as a member of a team, strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, and experience working with traditional and non-traditional diverse student populations. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs, content management software to update website, and of a student information system, such as PeopleSoft or Banner, for student and class information, degree requirement and record keeping. Ability to learn and adapt to new technology while staying current with emerging technology; seeks opportunities to apply available technology to improve department results/service delivery. Is results-oriented; takes accountability for completing work assignments; meets commitments and deadlines. Responds with appropriate urgency to customer requests for information and/or assistance. Effectively follows university policies without alienating customers. Takes personal responsibility for resolving customer issues. Develops effective working relationships inside and outside immediate work area. Contributes ideas and shares information within and across work groups; shares lessons learned, documents processes. Displays cooperative and open-minded behavior in working with others. Takes responsibility for continuous development and performance improvement. Continually builds on and develops conceptual knowledge bases. Constructively voices new ideas; persists; takes extra steps to overcome negative responses. Anticipates customer needs; keeps customers abreast of relevant changes; distributes helpful information.
The University of Baltimore ("UB" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices. UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
We appreciate your interest in our recruitment. Please review the information below before you visit http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html to apply.
We need to receive your electronic application in our system by the vacancy closing date in order to consider you for the vacancy. Information follows about submitting the electronic application and attaching your required cover letter and resume.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
• Save one PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered.
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THE FOLLOWING PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or applying for the vacancy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
- Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
- To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
- Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution. The University of Baltimore ("UB" or "University") does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other legally protected characteristics in its programs, activities or employment practices.