The University of Baltimore is an agency of the State of Maryland, and is covered by the State’s self-insurance program. The University is generally prohibited from purchasing insurance from commercial firms. University faculty and staff are also covered by the Maryland Tort Claims Act while on University business, and while acting with the scope of their employment. The purpose of the Tort Claims Act is to provide a remedy for those injured by the negligent acts or omissions of State personnel acting within the scope of their public duties.
The Director of Procurement has been designated as the Insurance Coordinator for the University of Baltimore. If your unit has suffered a loss such as a fire or other accident where property, buildings or a University vehicle has been damaged, please contact Blair Blankinship, Director of Procurement, 410-837-5714 firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible after the incident.
If a person other than a State Employee has been injured or they believe their property has been damaged by University faculty or staff, direct that person to the insurance page of the State Treasurer’s web site There they can find and complete the Notice of Claim Form . All claims against the State (including claims against UB) must be filed against the State Treasurer. The claimant should use the Notice of Claim Form.
Insurance Coverage for Visitors
1. Stop as near to the scene as is safely practical; avoid blocking traffic and otherwise minimize danger to others.
2. Dial 911. Request that a police officer respond to the scene and prepare a Police Report. If necessary, notify appropriate emergency medical and/or fire/rescue authorities. Cooperate fully with police and emergency authorities.
You must report ALL auto accidents regardless of how minor the damage is.
Request local police respond unless within reasonable distance of UB – then contact UB Police.
File an accident report with the local police – if local police refuse to respond (no personal injury) advise them this is a State vehicle and you need a report.
Make a note of the report number from local police.
3. Do not admit negligence or fault or offer settlements.
4. Provide identification to involved parties.
5. Obtain contact information (name, address, telephone number at a minimum) for involved parties and witnesses.
(a) Note the license plate number and state of registration of any other vehicles involved in the accident.
(b) Note the name of the driver and the name of their insurance company, and policy number.
6. If asked for your policy information, tell the other driver you are a State of Maryland employee, and the State vehicle is covered by the State’s self-insurance program. The other driver will need to file a “Notice of Claim” form with the State Treasurer’s office. The form and other information is available on the State Treasurer’s web site.
7. Make note of the weather conditions.
8. Protect University property if it can be done safely.
9. Do not give a statement, written or oral, to anyone other than the Police until you have discussed the accident with UB Public Safety.
10. Notify Public Safety as soon as possible. Accidents involving evacuation by emergency medical personnel must be reported immediately by telephone to the Public Safety.
11. Public Safety should advise claimants/attorneys to contact the Insurance Division of the State of Maryland Treasurer’s Office for questions and instructions for filing a formal notice of claim. Public Safety will send a copy of the Police Report to the Insurance Coordinator, for reporting to the State Treasurer’s Office.
A. Dial 911. Request that a police officer respond to the scene and prepare a Police Report. If necessary, notify appropriate emergency medical and/or fire/rescue authorities. Cooperate fully with police and emergency authorities.
B. Do not admit negligence or fault or offer settlements.
C. Provide identification to involved parties.
D. Obtain contact information (name, address, telephone number at a minimum) for involved parties and witnesses.
Address: ____________________________________ (include city and state)
Telephone number: ___________________________
e-mail address: _______________________________
Excerpt from USM Fleet Management Policies and Procedures regarding driver responsibilities - Section III - Institutional Fleet Coordinators.