Remote Access for Using VCL on Mac OS (10.8 and newer)
OTS offers technology to remotely access software applications by providing a Virtual Computer Link (VCL). This virtual desktop allows you to access applications as if you were on campus using a standard UB Windows computer. You will be able to access Outlook and your M, R, H and S drives.
Note: These instructions are written for Safari. Please review the entire document prior to connecting. For instructions on IE for Windows, click here.
- Download VMware Horizon Client for Mac, available here: VMware Client for Mac.
- Drag VMware Horizon View Client to your Applications folder. Double-click to open.
- If prompted for an Address, enter vcl.ubalt.edu.
- Enter your UB Net ID and Password. Domain should be CIS. Click Login.
- The client will warn about the connection being Untrusted, click Continue.
- After the client loads you will be presented with a choice of desktops. Double click the desktop you wish to access; for faculty and staff this is typically titled "Office Desktop Windows 7. The virtual desktop will take a few seconds to appear; do not click a second time.
- Click OK to agree to the UB computer policy. You are now ready to work with your files.
Tips for Using VCL
Save files on your campus M drive or R drive. You can also save files to your local PC drives (A:, C:, D:, etc.). Do not save files on the virtual desktop or to the C drive. These are temporary drives and will disappear when you logout. OTS cannot recover files saved to an incorrect location.
Make sure that you log off when you are finished working.
The virtual desktops provide standard software packages and will not serve up access to any special programs installed on your work desktop.
Using Right-Click Context Menu
- On a Mac desktop, you need to enable the right-click button on the mouse by going to System Preferences.app > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse and select Secondary Button in the drop-down menu for the right side of the mouse.
- On a MacBook, you can use the right-click method built into the trackpad, which is to put two fingers on the trackpad while clicking.
Contact the OTS Call Center at 410.837.6262