Remote Access to Campus Computers Using VCL through Windows/Internet Explorer
OTS offers technology to remotely access software applications by providing a Virtual Computer Link (VCL). This virtual desktop allows you to access applications as if you were on campus using a standard UB Windows computer. You will be able to access Outlook, M, R, H and S drives.
Note: These instructions are written for Internet Explorer. Please review the entire document prior to connecting. For instructions on VCL for Mac, click here.
- Using a computer with an internet connection, open Internet Explorer and go to https://vcl.ubalt.edu. If this is your first time accessing VCL, you will see the screen below. Choose View Client (21 MB) and click Download.
- If you have used VCL in a previous semester, you will see this screen. Choose View Client (21 MB) and click Download.
- You will see a screen with abbreviated instructions, and you will be presented with an information bar below the address bar. Click the bar and select Download File...
- You will be prompted with a dialogue box asking you to Run or Save. Click Save and choose a location where you will be able to find the file, such as your desktop.
- Once the download completes, click Run in the dialogue box, or browse to the file you just saved, titled "vmware-viewclient.exe," and double-click it.
- Click Run again if the Internet Explorer security warning pops up.
- Click Next to begin the installation process.
- Click Next again.
- Accept the terms of the agreement and then click Next.
- Leave all the default settings on the page and click Next.
- Leave the Default Server text box empty and click Next.
- At the Enhanced Single Sign On window, check both checkboxes ("Show in connection dialog" and "Set default option to login as current user") and then click Next.
- On the Configure Shortcuts screen, uncheck all three boxes and then click Next.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Click Finish to complete the installation. You will be prompted to restart your computer. Click Yes.
- Once it has rebooted, go back to https://vcl.ubalt.edu. You are prompted to enter your username and password. Use your UB netID and password. Click Login.
- 16. Select an "Image" and then click Connect. Note: you may see more than one image if you have access to different VCL environments.
Tips for Using VCL with Windows
Save files on your campus M drive or R drive. You can also save files to your local PC drives (A:, C:, D:, etc.). Do not save files on the virtual desktop or to the C drive. These are temporary drives and will disappear when you logout. OTS cannot recover files saved to an incorrect location.
Make sure that you log off when you are finished working.
The virtual desktops provide standard software packages and will not serve up access to any special programs installed on your work desktop.
Troubleshooting and Help
Contact the OTS Call Center at 410.837.6262.