Email Signature Best Practices
As email signatures are an element of University stationery, these best practices will help ensure that your ubalt.edu email meets professional standards, represents the quality of your work and the University’s business, and provides relevant information to support your business processes.
If you need assistance in developing your e-mail signature, please contact the Office of University Relations at 410.837.6190 or the Office of Technology Services at 410.837.6262.
The Office of University Relations makes the following recommendations for best practices in incorporating an electronic signature in your email communications:
Not all computers can read all fonts. Therefore, we recommend you use one of two very legible and commonly recognized and accepted fonts: Verdana or Calibri, both of which are typically factory installed on PCs and Macs.
Black type is the most legible. Therefore, we recommend you use only black or gray text for your signature.
Different email clients process images in different ways.Therefore, including an image in your signature runs the risk that a recipient receives that image as an email attachment instead.
- Images included in signatures should be sized appropriately.
- Including background images in your email is not a best practice; it can distract from the content of your email, make your email illegible or even prevent your email from being opened. Black text on a white background is preferred.
The only information that we recommend including in your email signature is (in this order):
Any other information you might include in your signature can lengthen your signature (and therefore your email), making it more difficult to process and/or print, and can distract from the professionalism and clarity of your email.
- your name
- your title
- your office or department
- University of Baltimore
- address, including office location (Since specific office locations aren’t included on University business cards, it’s helpful to have them in your email signature, which can be easily updated to accommodate office moves.)
- phone number
- fax number
- the University’s Web address, www.ubalt.edu.