Our Peer Tutors
- have earned a B+ or better in the course(s) for which they tutor
- have been recommended by a faculty member
- are trained in facilitating individual and group tutoring
- receive ongoing training to develop tutoring techniques based on best practices and current research
Our tutor training program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association.
Take advantage of free individual and group tutoring for more than 100 UB courses.
On average, students who take part in tutoring through the Achievement and Learning Center report that their final grade improves by one letter.
- can be completed in person or online
- are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- become available beginning the first week of each semester
- can be scheduled using our online appointment system.
- We cater each session to your learning style and learning goals.
- We work with you to identify goals, apply your strengths and use resources.
- We answer questions about concepts and underlying principles.
- We explain or demonstrate useful strategies, processes and approaches.
- You bring specific goals or questions along with your assignment instructions, textbook(s) or other relevant material.
- You attend class as usual; tutoring cannot substitute for class attendance.
- For assignment-related services, you attempt to do the work before your appointment.
- You must be currently enrolled in the course at UB for which you are requesting tutoring.
- If you haven’t completed the course prerequisites, we are unable to provide tutoring.
- The tutor’s job is not to correct mistakes or solve problems but to help you learn.
- The instructor—not the tutor—is the best judge of what the instructor wants from an assignment.
- Tutors cannot complete graded homework or other assignments for you, and they cannot answer questions that come directly from graded work. They can, however, assist you by going over examples and explaining topics you identify as an area you need help in.
Schedule an Appointment with a Tutor
- Register with or log in to our online appointment system using your @ubalt.edu email.
- Choose your course or computer application from the limit to drop-down menu at the top of your screen. If you don't see your course, please complete our tutor request form.
- Select an open appointment (white block of time) with a tutor of your choice.
Questions? Read the online appointment FAQ or contact us for assistance.