Your career-oriented major and a creative outlet: this minor allows you to have it both ways.
Many students—from early childhood through high school—produce poetry, short stories, plays and other forms of creative writing, but when they reach college, they feel compelled to give up their writing to pursue a more practical, applied area that is more likely to help them secure a job and significant income. This minor has a set of courses that will hone your existing skills and teach you new ones that will serve you well, regardless of your career.
English majors are not eligible for this minor.
Requirements and Guidelines
- This minor requires you to have completed at least 24 credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- You may use a maximum of 6 credits to satisfy both major (degree) and minor requirements.
- You must earn at least a C (2.0) in each course you apply to the minor.
Minor Requirement (3 credits)
- Introduction to Creative Writing (ENGL 215)
Genre Requirement (6 credits)
Choose two of the following:
- The Short Story (ENGL 315)
- Modern Poetry (ENGL 316)
- The Novel (ENGL 317)
- Contemporary Literature (ENGL 320)
- Literature & Film (ENGL 332)
- Modern Drama (ENGL 338)
Workshop Requirement (6 credits)
- Creative Writing Workshop: Memoir (ENGL 387)
- Creative Writing Workshop: Creative Journalism (ENGL 386)
- Creative Writing Workshop: Poetry (ENGL 382)
- Creative Writing Workshop: Fiction (ENGL 383)
- Creative Writing Workshop: Playwriting (ENGL 385)
- Creative Writing Workshop: Screenwriting (ENGL 384/CMAT 363)
- Creative Writing: Special Topics (ENGL 388)
Faculty Contact: Professor Cheryl Wilson, 410.837.5203