Skip to content

You're seeking a professional degree.  Financial aid can help you fulfill your dreams!

Are you a Maryland resident?

Complete your FAFSA before March 1 each year for consideration of state financial aid from the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC). MHEC offers various scholarships, most of which require you to file your FAFSA before March 1.

If you didn't file your FAFSA by March 1, don't worry! You can still file your FAFSA for federal aid.

As a law student, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, continues to be your source for financial aid.

The FAFSA becomes available October 1st each year.  You should plan on completing it as soon you plan to attend law school.  You must file the FAFSA each year you want to use financial aid.

When completing the FAFSA, be sure to include UB's school code, 002102. UB will determine which financial aid programs you are eligible for based on the results of your FAFSA.

After you have been admitted to the School of Law and we have received your FAFSA, we will award you with financial aid. We will notify you at your University of Baltimore email address (typically It's important to begin checking this email account frequently!

Law students are also eligible to apply for the credit-based Graduate PLUS Loan.  For additional information on the application process for this loan and other opportunities for scholarships, visit the types of aid webpage or the Office of Financial Aid.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What happens after I receive my award notice?

    The email you receive will direct you to your MyUB Portal to complete the remaining financial aid steps. You will want to complete the "4 Steps to Financial Aid" found in the left-hand column. Specifically, you will want to complete step 2.  If you are borrowing a loan for the first time at UB, step 3 will also need to be completed.

    If you do not have your login information for MyUB, please click here.

  • How much financial aid should I accept?

    This is up to you! A bill, or charge, will be created on your account after you've registered for classes. You may want to check the tuition and fees webpage to determine how much you will be charged. Consider accepting enough financial aid to cover the cost of your educational expenses. We recommend only borrowing what you need.  Remember, you are not required to accept everything which is offered to you!

  • What happens if I have too much or not enough financial aid?

    If you have more financial aid on your account than your charges total, you will be issued a refund. Refunds are sent from the Office of the Comptroller in Annapolis. It is important that you keep your address up to date at all times. You can expect to receive your refund within 10 business days of seeing "Refund Financial Aid Annapolis" on your student account.

    There are two options for students who do not have enough financial aid to cover their tuition and fee charges. The first option is to enroll in the payment plan offered though Sallie Mae. The second option is to visit the Office of Financial Aid to learn about other financial aid opportunities.

    For additional information about refunds or payment plans, visit the Office of the Bursar's website.

  • Do I have to be full-time to receive financial aid?

    Generally, law students only need to be enrolled half-time (6 credits or more) to receive federal aid. However, some scholarships or academic programs may require you to enroll full-time (9 credits or more). For requirements of specific programs, see types of aid or the Office of Financial Aid.

Last Published 4/10/17