Newman Civic Fellowship Applications Now Open!!
The nomination period is now open for the 2021-2022 Newman Civic Fellowship, a yearlong program that recognizes and supports community- committed students at Campus Compact member institutions.
The Newman Civic Fellowship is intended to honor the leadership legacy of Campus Compact founder Frank Newman by recognizing community-committed students who:
- Engage in collaborative action with others from campus or from surrounding communities in order to create long-term social change
- Take action in addressing issues of inequality and political polarization
- Demonstrate the motivation and potential for effective long-term civic engagement
In addition to these core characteristics, Newman Civic Fellow nominees for the 2021-2022 academic year must also meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Each institution may nominate only one student
- For institutions with both undergraduate and graduate programs, presidents and chancellors are encouraged to recommend the most deserving student, with preference given to undergraduate students
- In keeping with Frank Newman’s passion for educational access, we encourage presidents and chancellors to give preference to students from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in higher education
- The nominee must have at least one year of their education remaining (either at their current institution or at a different one) such that they will be enrolled in higher education for the duration of the 2021-2022 academic year
- Nominees must commit to providing a short reflection piece (video, article, or letter format) to Campus Compact during their fellowship year
- The nominee’s institution must commit to helping the nominee identify a local mentor for the duration of the fellowship
To apply for the Newman Civic Fellowship 2021-2020 cohort, please visit involvement.ubalt.edu, or click here. For more information regarding the Newman Civic Fellowship, please visit https://compact.org/newman-civic-fellowship/
- Contact Name:
- Brittany Richmond
- Contact Email:
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities will be provided upon request 10 days prior to a campus event and 30 days prior to an event requiring travel.