All applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for membership.
We initiate new members each fall and spring.
Approximately 100 people apply each semester and we typically accept about 25 percent of those applicants.
National requirements prohibit us from selecting more than 5 percent of our total, full-time undergraduate population.
Additionally, only 1/3 of applicants may be graduate or professional degree students. If the applicant earned a bachelor's degree at UB, that applicant will not count against the 1/3 limit.
1. Applicant must be within upper 35% of their class. At UB, this means your GPA must be at least 3.3 for undergraduates, 3.6 for graduates, and 3.2 for law student.
2. Applicant must be able to demonstrate active participation in at least one of the five phases of leadership:
- campus/community service, social and religious activities, campus government
- journalism, speech and the mass media
- creative & performing arts.
Involvement on campus at UB is the primary consideration; community involvement will only be considered secondarily.
A successful applicant will either be able to show strong, active campus involvement in one of the criteria above, or limited involvement in a combination of two or more of the criteria above.
Please review our Honor Point Schedule for examples on what types of participation are considered for each category.
3. Applicant must be enrolled for the semester during which the application is considered and must have completed at least two semesters of coursework at UB. This includes current enrollment. Undergraduates must be juniors or seniors (having completed at least 56 hours of undergraduate coursework at the time of application).