Skip to content

Campus Employment

Overview of Student Employment

The Student Employment Program is designed to provide opportunities for students to earn money by working part-time while they are enrolled in college. There are three components to Student Employment: on-campus employment, off-campus employment, and graduate assistantships*. Enrolled students may be hired to work in academic and administrative offices in a variety of jobs. Student wages may be paid with Federal Work-Study (FWS) monies if the student is eligible for financial aid and enrolled at least half time (6 credits). Student assistants may also be paid with funds from the hiring department’s operations budget. Graduate Assistants are paid through university and departmental funds.

* Graduate Assistants are selected and supervised by the various departments within which the assistantships are available. For information on the opportunities that may be available, please contact the office(s) noted on the back of the application  Graduate Assistantship Application . Applications sent to Alicia Campbell ( ), Office of the Provost, Academic Center Rm 249, 1420 N. Charles  St., Baltimore, MD 21201, will be distributed to the appropriate departments for review.

Student Eligibility for On-Campus Employment

Position Type Undergraduate Students Graduate Students International Students
Federal Work-Study Eligible Eligible Not Eligible
Student Assistants Eligible Eligible Eligible
Graduate Assistantship Not Eligible Eligible Eligible

Finding On-Campus Employment

  1. Click the UBworks icon under Tools section after logging into the MyUB Portal.
  2. Complete your Profile (Click "Profile" located in the upper-left corner of the UBworks homepage)
  3. Upload your resume (Select "Documents", then select "Add New", Browse computer and upload resume)
  4. Select "Jobs and Internships" Tab (located in the center of the navigation bar on the UBworks homepage)
  5. In the "Position Type" field, select "Workstudy/Student Assistantship or Graduate Assistantship" and click "Search"
  6. Select the positions you are interested in
  7. Review the job description thoroughly
  8. Submit your resume by clicking the "Submit" button (located on the right-hand side of the job posting page)

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Federal Work-Study?

    Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally-funded Title IV financial aid program. Students apply for financial aid and, based upon their need and eligibility, may be awarded Federal Work Study as part of their financial aid package. Students use their FWS award to work on campus in jobs approved for FWS. (There are some limited off-campus FWS positions.) This allows students to earn money and gain professional experience while they enrolled in college. Student earnings are limited to the amount of their FWS award.

    FWS students typically work 20 hours per week but may work more or fewer hours depending upon class schedule and the needs of the hiring department. More hours per week will reduce the award faster.

    FWS students are typically paid in the range of $8-12/hour. Jobs that require more advanced skills are usually paid at a higher rate. A higher salary will reduce the award faster.

    Students can check the amount of their FWS awards on MyUB and should print this page to take to the interview.

  • How do I verify and print out my Federal Work-Study award?

    1. Log on to MyUB Portal (
    2. Click on the My Student Center (located in the upper left hand corner, under My Self Service)
    3. Scroll down to Finances, then under Financial Aid click on Accept/Decline Awards
    4. Click the current aid year
    5. Look under Awards and click on Federal Work-Study
    6. View your Federal Work-Study award amount by semesters
    7. Print this page and submit to hiring supervisor

    NOTE: If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, your award amount will be shown. If you do not see your award amount under Federal Work-Study, then you have not received it as part of your financial aid package. If you would like to find out if you are eligible for Federal Work-Study, contact Financial Aid at or 410.837.4763.

  • Where do I find a job on campus?

    Register for a UBworks account and search the on-line job database. All of the on-campus jobs will be listed in the database under Federal Work-Study/Student Assistants. Search for jobs daily and respond quickly to positions that you are interested in.

  • How do I apply for an on-campus job?

    Follow the directions posted by the hiring department. For most positions, you will need to submit your resume.

  • What if I don’t have a resume?

    UBworks has a Resume Builder section that allows you to easily create a resume. You may also model your resume after the sample resumes in the Student Employment section. Please visit the Career Center during our walk-in hours or make an appointment with a career advisor if you need additional help with your resume or cover letter.

  • I have been awarded Federal Work-Study as part of my financial aid package. Am I guaranteed a job?

    No. You will need to apply and interview for jobs, and the hiring department will choose the candidate most qualified to meet their needs. The Career Center will help you market yourself effectively and assist you in locating positions on UBworks.

  • How do I prove to the hiring department that I have been awarded Federal Work-Study money?

    It is your responsibility to be fully informed about your FWS award. Go to MyUB and print out the page that indicates your FWS award amount (see directions above). Take this with you when you meet with the hiring department.

  • What happens if I use up all of my Federal Work-Study money before the end of the academic year?

    You can estimate how long your award will last according to your salary and number of hours worked per week. It is advisable for you and your supervisor to track your award. You cannot exceed your award amount, so if you run out of FWS money, you must stop working or your department can elect to pay you from their operating budget.

  • I have not been awarded Federal Work-Study. Can I still get a job on campus?

    Yes. A department may hire you as a regular Student Assistant. The process for applying is the same. Upload your resume to UBworks, apply and interview. The only difference is that the hiring department pays you from their own budget as opposed to federal monies.

  • Since Federal Work-Study is a less expensive way for the department to hire student workers, why would they consider hiring a Student Assistant out of their own budget?

    Many departments have funds to hire regular Student Assistants. Some positions require experience or specific types of skills. Federal Work-Study offers one pool of candidates, but not the only pool. Departments are encouraged to hire the best candidate for the job.

  • I’m an international student. Can I work on campus?

    Yes. You can be hired as a regular Student Assistant. International students are not eligible for Federal Work-Study. Visit the International Student Office first to ensure you are eligible to work on campus.

  • How and when will I be paid?

    If you elect Direct Deposit, you wages will go directly into your bank account. Otherwise, you will be paid bi-weekly by check. You can pick up your check in the Bursar Office or it will be mailed to you. (See Contractual Payroll Schedule)

  • What happens if I cannot find an on-campus job?

    Make an appointment with Jessica Johnson, Job Development and Internship Coordinator, and she will assist you. Please call 410.837.5440 to schedule an appointment. Her office is located in the Career and Professional Development Center, Student Center, room 306. You can also try looking for an off-campus job. There are some off-campus FWS positions and many regular part-time jobs listed on UBworks.