Skip to content

Student Employment

Benefits of Hiring Students
to Work On-Campus

Research shows that students who connect on several levels with their institution tend to remain engaged with their school, finish their degrees and have positive lasting impressions of their alma maters. They may improve their academic performance since they don’t have to spend time traveling to work.

Student workers allow UB offices to provide additional services and programs or complete special projects.

Student employees bring an immediate and fresh perspective to office procedures and marketing efforts.

International students add diversity to the workplace and can work on their language skills with on-the-job practice. For most, on-campus employment is their only option for working in this country.

Academic departments save money when student wages are paid from Federal Work Study funds.

Enrich our students' experience with on-campus employment

The Student Employment Program is designed to provide opportunities for students to earn money by working part-time while enrolled in college. Enrolled students may be hired to work off-campus or on-campus in academic and administrative offices. Student employees are paid with Federal Work-Study monies if eligible for financial aid or as student assistants with funds from the hiring department’s  budget. Graduate assistants are selected and supervised by the various departments within which the assistantships are available. Students should be directed to the Graduate Assistantship Application for information on the opportunities that may be available.



  • How do I post an on-campus job?

    Log in to UBworks or register for an account with this link: Once your account is approved you will be prompted to complete the steps below.

    Step 1: Log in to your UBworks account • Visit:  • Enter your username: [email] and your password: [password] • Click "Go"

    Step 2: Click "Jobs" (in navigation bar on top of homepage) • Click "Add New" (in bottom left corner of page)

    Step 3: Complete the Required Fields (those with red stars) • Enter job description or desired requirements

    Step 4: Customize how applications will be received • At "Resume Receipt" field, select "email" (midway down the page) • A "Default email address for Resumes" will appear. Enter the email address you want applicants' resumes to be directly sent to.

    Step 5: Click "Submit" (bottom of the page)

    Questions or concerns? Contact Amy Diggins, student employment coordinator, at or 410.837.4702.

  • What hiring paperwork needs to be completed for new or returning student employees?

    The Office of Human Resources requires several forms for new hires. Please consult HR's web page for the particular forms (including rehiring forms and instructions) needed for college work-study, student assistant and graduate assistant hires. Be sure to complete all necessary paperwork in advance of your students' start dates and follow HR's instructions carefully.

  • What’s the difference between a Federal Work-Study student and a regular Student Assistant?

    The difference is in how they are paid. You hire the student who is best suited for the job you have in your department. If the student is eligible for Federal Work Study, their wages are paid by the government and not from your departmental budget. A regular student assistant is paid from your departmental budget.

  • How much do we need to pay a student worker?

    Federal guidelines require you to pay at least minimum wage ($7.25/hour) but UB typically pays more–from $8.00 to $13.00/hour depending on the type of job. IT jobs are generally paid at the higher end of the scale.

  • How do we know if a student has received a FWS award?

    The student can check on the UB Portal. If he/she has a FWS award, the screen will show the amount of the award. They will need to "accept" the amount granted to them. Direct them to the Office of Financial Aid if they have questions.

  • Who keeps track of the spending?

    It is always a good idea to track the number of hours your student works so you have a general idea about the amount of funds left in the FWS account. However, Financial Aid also tracks the awards and can flag student accounts when $300 remains. The student can always check the amount left in his/her personal account. Departments will be charged from their own budgets for any work completed beyond their allowable work-study award.

  • Some students are new to the work world and may not have the skills we need. Where can they get training?

    We recognize that on-campus employment may be a student’s first professional job experience. We can offer a series of training programs that will teach basic work performance skills—how to answer the phone, make eye contact, listen and answer questions, attend work on time and dress appropriately for work. You are encouraged to send your student workers to our scheduled training events, whether they are FWS students or regular student assistants.

  • Can students work over the summer?

    Yes, if you have money in your budget, you can employ student assistants over the summer and in between semesters as needed. FWS students may also work over the summer if they are officially registered for fall courses. They do not have to be taking a summer course.

  • Who do we ask for help?

    For FWS award questions, contact Financial Aid at or x4763.

    For general student employment questions, contact Jessica Johnson, Job Development and Internship Coordinator, at or x5440.

    For contract, paperwork and timesheet/payroll issues, contact Human Resources at x5410.