With the help of your mentor, you will complete a series of requirements to obtain your Professional Development Institute certificate.
Your certificate is made up of three components:
All participants are required to complete these requirements.
- Complete the Focus2 career planning tool to discover your direction and create your career portfolio.
- Attend the annual kickoff event or attend a student orientation session.
- Connect with your mentor (in person, by phone or by emai) a recommended minimum of once a month during the semester.
- Complete one activity associated with the UB Career Cycle.
- Create/update your resume with Career and Professional Development Center.
- Create/update your LinkedIn profile.
- Complete the Professional Development Plan in consultation with your mentor.
- Complete the post-program self-assessment.
In consultation with your mentor, you will address these four areas of focus through workshops, activities or experiences.
- Global Awareness
Learning Goal: Connect knowledge with choices and actions that engage others in diverse local and global communities
Learning Goal: Communicate effectively in various media.
- Ethics and Leadership
Learning Goal: Acquire knowledge about models of ethical behavior and understand its implications in the development of personal and professional relationships
- Personal and Professional Competence
Learning Goal: Apply strategies that enhance professional and personal competence.
In consultation with your mentor, you will complete one or more experiences that are connected to your career goals.
- academic or professional research
- Achievement and Learning Center tutor
- internship/cooperative education
- officer role in student organizations or student government
- officer role in sports club
- sports team captain
- Peer Network adviser
- presentation at a conference or workshop
- substantial volunteer or service experience
- study abroad
- work experience related to career goals (on/off-campus employment)
- other (with mentor’s approval)
Students who complete the Professional Development Institute will:
- create and revise a resume
- prepare for and practice a job interview
- develop a comfort level with public speaking
- identify and discuss personal strengths, and learn to maximize them
- develop an appreciation for the diversity of cultures in our global society
- learn and practice leadership and ethical decision making
- connect and deepen these experiences through coaching and reflection
- develop an action plan for personal and professional growth.