Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a disability?

    As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical or emotional impairment that substantially limits one or more major life functions such as working or learning.
  • If I have a temporary disability, am I still eligible for services?

    Although temporary disabilities are not covered under the ADAA or Section 504, the Center for Educational Access provides services on an as-needed basis; contact us to learn more. Just keep in mind that the center does not provide personal care such as transportation or attendants.
  • What type of documentation must I submit to be eligible for services?

    While each disability requires different documentation, all documentation is required to meet certain criteria:
    • Documentation must include a diagnosis based on appropriate measures used to diagnose the disability being presented.
    • Documentation must be on letterhead of diagnostician and include their credentials.
    • Documentation should include, when appropriate, description of tests, methods and/or criteria used and examiner’s narrative.
    • Documentation should indicate treatments, medications or assistive devices/technology currently prescribed or in use (if appropriate).
    • Documentation must include suggestions for reasonable accommodations.
    • Documentation must be current (within the past five years, maximum) if the disability presented warrants recency of information.
  • When and where should I submit my documentation? 

    Submit your documentation to the Center for Educational Access in the Academic Center, Room 139. When you submit appropriate documentation, you are registered with the center and eligible for services based on your documentation. The center cannot, of course, provide accommodations retroactive to the submission of the documentation.
  • If I submit information about my disability to the offices of admission, am I automatically registered with Center for Educational Access?

    No. Because disability information is highly confidential, it is not shared between offices without written student consent. To take advantage of the center's services, you must meet with a member of center's staff and provide appropriate documentation.
  • How do I receive classroom accommodations?

    First, schedule an appointment with a member of the Center for Educational Access staff to review documentation and determine appropriate accommodations. Then, you'll present your professor(s) with the Accommodation Agreement Form, signed by a center staff member and yourself, outlining the accommodations for which you're eligible. Once he or she receives the form, your professor will sign it and return the form to the center. We'll then make copies for both you and your professor.
  • If I register with the Center for Educational Access, will it appear on my permanent record/transcript?

    No. Because disability information is kept highly confidential, your documentation is housed in the center and is completely separate from any information maintained by the Office of the University Registrar.
  • Is there a charge for the services provided by the Center for Educational Access?

    No, absolutely not. The Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibit charging students for services including but not limited to books on tape, interpreters and notetakers.
  • Do I need to re-register with the Center for Educational Access each semester?

    No, once you have registered with the center, there is no need to register again; however, if your medical condition changes, you may be required to submit updated documentation. Also, to receive appropriate accommodations each semester, you do need to meet with a center staff member to complete the Accommodations Agreement Form for each class.
  • Are there scholarships available for students with disabilities?

    Yes, and we encourage you to take advantage of them. Scholarships are awarded to full-time and part-time students on an as-available basis.
Last Published 10/2/15