Assurance of Learning: M.F.A. in Creative Writing and Publishing Arts
Mission Statement: The M.F.A. in Creative Writing and Publishing Arts is recognized nationally for its distinctive integration of creative writing and publishing arts, as well as for the unique way it focuses on both creativity and craft. The curriculum is designed to foster creativity, to help students develop work of publishable quality, to enable them to become proficient in graphic design and bookmaking, and to provide opportunities to gain experience in publishing, teaching, and the arts. The program culminates with a seminar in which each student writes, edits, designs and publishes a book of poems, short stories, or nonfiction. The program aims to prepare students for careers as creative writers, editors, publishers, book designers, and teachers.
Program-Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduating from the M.F.A. in Creative Writing and Publishing Arts program, students will be able to:
- write a manuscript of original poetry, fiction, or nonfiction of publishable quality
- design and produce a print and/or electronic publication that enhances and supports the writing
- critique examples of creative writing, with respect to matters of style and structure
- develop a plan of action for publication of their own work that includes a researching and evaluating literary agents and presses, writing inquiries, and submitting a manuscript
- give a public reading of their work
- analyze a piece of literature, with an emphasis on the ways in which it reflects or departs from a particular literary tradition.