Counseling Psychology Concentration: Careers and Internships
Your Career Outlook
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, the need for professional counselors is expected to grow faster than average for all occupations, by 19% between 2014 and 2024. In the managed health care system, there is an increasing need for skilled master's-level counselors who can provide mental health services.
As a graduate of this program, you will obtain the necessary skills to prepare for a Ph.D. program (science specialization) or become a licensed clinical professional counselor (practitioner specialization or general counseling psychology track). Our graduates work in hospitals, school-based mental health programs, community mental health clinics, residential treatment centers, crisis response units, substance abuse treatment centers and private practice. Here are some of the places they've landed jobs:
Nonprofit, Community Mental Health and Residential Treatment
- Baltimore Crisis Response Team
- Catholic Charities
- Family Advocacy Services
- Glenwood Life Counseling Center
- HARBEL Prevention and Recovery Center
- Health Care for the Homeless
- Hospice of Howard County
- Kennedy Krieger Institute
- PACT: Helping Children with Special Needs
- PDG, Inc.
- Sheppard Pratt
All counseling tracks require at least one semester of practicum. Our practicum course meets the State of Maryland Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor licensure requirement for a course in field experience. These experiences provide connections to professionals already working in the field, as well as leads to potential jobs. UB students can look for possible practicum sites through UBworks (log into MyUB and click on the UBworks icon).
Check out where our students did their community placements during the fall 2017 semester:
- All Walks of Life, LLC
- Baltimore City Community College
- Complete Wellness, Inc. and UB LTC
- Congruent Counseling
- Crossroads Center of Frederick
- Davidsloft Clinical & Behavioral Programs
- Gaudenzia, Inc.
- Hampden Health Solutions
- MPB Group Inc.
- National Pike Health Center - Dundalk
- Partnership Development Group Inc
- Pro Bono Counseling Project
- Resource Connect
- Space Between Counseling Services
- The Arc Baltimore
- The Children's Guild: Monarch Academy PCS
- The Counseling Renaissance
- Thrive Behavioral Health
- Transformation Health
- University of Baltimore Counseling Center
- University of Maryland, Baltimore Employee Assistance Program
- University of Maryland, School of Mental Health Program
- VMCR - Fallstaff
For students who are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. after receiving their M.S. degree, UB offers potential research opportunities to work alongside a faculty member in the applied psychology division on their current research study. This gives students vital experience and preparation for their future pathway to a Ph.D. program.