UB Joins in Celebration of Global Entrepreneurship Week, Nov. 18-22
November 8, 2013
Contact: University Relations
The University of Baltimore will join in the celebration of Global Entrepreneurship Week—the world's largest recognition of those who "bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare," according to the event's website—with a series of participatory events hosted by the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation in the Merrick School of Business. Activities, including workshops, information sessions, meetings with business leaders and more, will take place in various locations on- and off-campus, Nov. 18-22. Everyone from the UB community is encouraged to attend.
Johnetta Hardy, director of the CEI, said the University's involvement in Global Entrepreneurship Week signifies the overarching intent of all who are interested in entrepreneurship, whether it's as a career path, an area of current interest, or a way to integrate an entrepreneurial way of thinking into other life plans.
"At UB, we are not just teaching entrepreneurship as a series of steps you can use to start a small business and call it a day," Hardy said. "Our students, coming from an impressive range of backgrounds and levels of expertise, are interested in this field as a process that they want to own and make use of in their daily lives. Many of them, for sure, will go on to open and grow their own businesses. They'll invent things, patent things, establish new and innovative companies of all kinds. But right now, today, they are looking to the field of entrepreneurship to help them understand the issues they'll face in the future—a future that is global, economically independent, innovative, and deeply rooted in the idea that each of us has the potential to be a 24/7 self-starter."
To that end, the following events are UB's contributions to Global Entrepreneurship Week:
- Nov. 18, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.: TEDCO Entrepreneur Expo at BWI Airport Marriott
- Nov. 19, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.: Workshop: "What it Takes to Launch a New Business," taking place in UB's William H. Thumel Sr. Business Center Room 321 (11 W. Mt. Royal Ave.) Panelists include Harold T. Rubin, CEI entrepreneur in residence and CEO of Rubin Management; and Danny BenDebba, CEI entrepreneur in residence and CEO of Dream Up Baltimore. R.S.V.P. required.
- Nov. 20, 9:30 to 11 a.m.: Digital Workshop: Web and App Development for Small and Medium Businesses, in the Thumel Business Center, Room 321. Panelists, including UB’s own Asad Rizvi, president and founder of xRaze Inc., and president of UB's Student Entrepreneurship Club CUBE, Sterling McKinley, president of McKinley Media Group and CEI coach; and Osama Al-Zain, vice president of International Graphic, will discuss software and website development for small- to medium-sized businesses. R.S.V.P. required.
- Nov. 20, noon to 1 p.m.: Practice Your Business Pitch, held on the Student Center's second floor. Have an idea for a business or just want to practice your pitch? Show us what you've got and get feedback from experts. R.S.V.P. rrequired.
- Nov. 20, noon to 1 p.m.: Student BeeZaar, held on the Student Center's second floor. Support our UB students as their sell and showcase their businesses and service in Student Center Café (second floor), 21 W. Mt. Royal Ave. R.S.V.P. required.
- Nov. 20, 2 to 3:30 p.m.: "CEO Roundtable," featuring Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games. Thumel Business Center, Room 219. R.S.V.P. required.
- Nov. 20, 5 to 6 p.m.: "Rise to the Challenge" Competition Information Session, located in the Business Center, Room 227. Limited to UB students; learn how your business idea could win $3,000 at the spring competition, to be held on May 1, 2014.
- Nov. 21, 9:30 to 11 a.m.: Workshop: "How to Find Startup Money," located in the Business Center, Room 309. Speakers including Mike Binko, president and CEO of Kloudtrack, Anthony R. Raley, II, of Silicon Valley Bank, Kathleen Manley, CEI's entrepreneur in residence and president of Asset Funding Solutions, and Veronica Cool, vice president and principal banker at Wells Fargo Bank.
Learn more about UB's events during Global Entrepreneurship Week by calling 410.837.4892, or just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Baltimore is a member of the University System of Maryland and comprises the College of Public Affairs, the Merrick School of Business, the UB School of Law and the Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences.