Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 06/06/13 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
NOTE: Position is open until filled. Apply by Wednesday, September 4, 2013 for best consideration.
This position is primarily responsible for information security analysis, engineering and incident response for the University of Baltimore. This position will assist with the design, development, implementation and maintenance of the overall campus information security program, focusing upon identifying campus risks, vulnerabilities, improving campus security awareness and maintaining compliance with state and federal requirements. Duties and responsibilities include:
• Conducts routine network and server vulnerability assessments as required. Assists chief information officer (CIO) by coordinating campus-wide risk assessments.
• Tracks resolution of findings and submits reports to the CIO.
• Performs ongoing analysis and correlation of information collected by intrusion detection (IDS) and security event management (SEM) systems. Develops automated reports to achieve compliance with state and federal requirements. Reviews reports as defined by the UB information and security audit program.
• Investigates incidents that are detected, or that are reported. Serves as a primary member of the UB Computer Incident Response Team (UB-CSIRT).
• Assists in the development of technical security standards to support campus information security policies.
• Assists in developing, implementing, and maintaining an ongoing IT security awareness and employee training program, collaborating with the Instructional Technologies, Facilities and Support Unit, the business analysts, the campus HR training coordinator and any other relevant persons.
• Review security advisories, assessing relevance and risk, and disseminate to relevant technical staff. Track review of security advisories via help desk ticketing system.
• Assists in or facilitates the selection and implementation of information security solutions including, but not limited to, firewalls, VPN, SEM and IDP/IDS. Responsible for ongoing maintenance and support of SEM and IDS systems.
• Conducts routine audits of the network infrastructure configuration to ensure security best practices are being utilized.
• Responsible for working with the technical writer to document processes and standard operating procedures (SOP).
• Works with other OTS staff members to assist in enforcing compliance with security policies, standards and guidelines.
• Participates in project teams, ensuring that security is part of the system development life cycle (SDLC).
• Studies and keeps current on security topics and issues. Report issues to the chief architect, or other personnel, as appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Strong knowledge of computer hardware, networks and related components
• Knowledge of LAN, client/server, computer and communications technology.
• Ability to translate complex security functions into layman’s terms.
• Knowledge of current Windows operating systems, Microsoft SQL Server, Cisco IOS, Juniper OS, Solaris, Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, LDAP, SSH, Terminal Server, Microsoft Exchange, antivirus, firewalls, SIEM and IDS tools, router access control lists, host-based firewalls, enterprise WiFi security.
Strong Communication skills and documentation skills
• Proven technical, logical, analytical problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines with quality products.
• Understand and adhere to policy, process and procedure requirements.
• Perform root cause analysis, assess risk, and provide alternative problem solving solutions.
Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management and customers.
• Works collegially with other OTS units and University components.
• Excellent oral communication and technical writing skills.
• Strong project interaction background required. Ability to engage in several concurrent projects in a team work environment.
Requires undergraduate degree in computer science, engineering, or related field and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience to include:
• Risk and vulnerability assessment and/or penetration testing.
• Using and interpreting results of basic information security assessment tools (e.g. Nessus, nmap, etc.)
• Interpreting and enforcing information security policies, best practices and creating effective technical reports summarizing information security findings, risks, and remediation requirements.
• Information security experience in a distributed networking environment.
• Required familiarity with major security systems such as firewalls, IDS, VPN, two-factor authentication, PKI, encryption, network scanning, phone sweeps, wireless networking, SSL/TLS, and others.
Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
Ability to provide 24/7 support as needed is required.
• CISSP and/or SANS certification desired.
• Knowledge of ISO-17799 preferred.
• Managing IT in some facet for a higher education environment.
• Web application security assessment.
• Basic programming or scripting languages.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THESE FOUR PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: There are three questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer these three questions, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or using the Candidate Gateway online resume submission process, please call Human Resources at 410.837.5410 to ask for Candidate Gateway help or e-mail email@example.com.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.