Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 10/11/13 Closes: 11/11/13
Salary: $48,000 - $53,000
At the University of Baltimore’s Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences, our students learn, work and study at the intersection of the arts, humanities, sciences and technologies. The college is a vibrant, lively place to live and learn, and it's the center of cultural and intellectual excellence for the University of Baltimore. We view ourselves as the heart of higher education at UB.
Now is your chance to partner with and support the leadership of this dynamic College as its next Assistant to the Dean. If you pride yourself in being a highly skilled and experienced administrative professional who applies critical thinking skills to solve complex problems, while making strategically sound decisions that result in successful outcomes within the Dean’s office, then consider this career opportunity. A short list of responsibilities includes:
• Ensuring the smooth and professional operation of the Dean’s office; making decisions of an administrative nature and executing those decisions and functions to completion, informing the Dean of potential problems concerning faculty, staff, and students.
• Anticipating the Dean’s work-related needs to make sure she is best prepared for daily operations and decision-making.
• Anticipating the Dean’s course of action when absent and facilitating problem resolution.
• Interpreting administrative decisions and policies while communicating directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the Dean.
• Assisting in the resolution of complaints and issues brought to the attention of the Dean by serving as the first point of contact, gathering appropriate information and assisting with the proper resolution.
• Ensuring the Dean is fully briefed before meetings on matters under consideration. Confirming her schedule and providing necessary materials and other preparation.
• Reviewing/Editing outgoing correspondence for procedural, typographical, and grammatical accuracy with general policy and factual correctness.
• Triaging incoming correspondence and information, summarizing, prioritizing, and screening items to be handled personally and forwarding remainder with necessary background materials.
• Creating and maintaining an administrative calendar listing of deadlines for administrative responsibilities in the Dean’s office; distributing to division chairs, and ensuring notification to faculty and staff of relevant dates.
• Assisting the Dean in fostering and encouraging cooperation between and among faculty, staff, and units to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the College and the University as a whole.
We are looking for the quintessential professional whose inventive nature and interpersonal style are more proactive than reactive. Abundant opportunities exist where your perceptive organizational understanding and ‘read’ will result in inspired approaches to meeting the needs of a dynamic, energetic Dean.
Working effectively with academic leadership and administrative colleagues provides the successful candidate an appreciation of the challenges and rewards of working in a higher education culture. Your demonstrated ability to interact, support and collaborate with diverse individuals and groups will test the excellence of your collaborative diplomacy and communication skills.
If you are in the market for that next great career opportunity, and are committed to challenging the status quo and creating innovative processes, cost-savings and increased efficiency and effectiveness, this is your opportunity. We have great dreams and a future of exciting possibilities. Join us in the journey.
Interested professionals will provide a cover letter and resume showing a successful background in providing administrative support and the potential to succeed as the Assistant to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
A bachelor’s degree is required in addition to at least 6 years of related and progressively challenging administrative experience with demonstrated skills in maintaining the highest level of diplomacy, confidentiality and trust. Developed strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions is essential in proactively planning, organizing, prioritizing and executing complicated and continuing assignments without instruction. Knowledge of and skill in using Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Access to produce documents and maintain information is also required. Success working in higher education is preferred.
In order to be considered, the Office of Human Resources must receive your documents on or before the submission deadline. Please review and follow the application instructions.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THESE FOUR PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: There are three questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer these three questions, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or using the Candidate Gateway online resume submission process, please call Human Resources at 410.837.5410 to ask for Candidate Gateway help or e-mail email@example.com.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.