OTS standards and guidelines are provided here for reference.
- Office 365 Teams Site Guidelines
General Standards and Procedures for Software/Hardware Services
- Office of Technology Services (OTS) staff supports and services only those computers and peripherals clearly defined as the University of Baltimore property. Hardware must properly display a "Property of State of Maryland" tag for performing services.
- Departments supported by "grants" will be charged for all replacement parts in microcomputer systems and peripherals. An inter-departmental billing form must be completed before the conclusion of the repair services. A hardware technician will provide a cost estimate to the department upon request.
- All hardware and software support requests must be logged in through the OTS Call Center using the self-serve forms, email, or phone. Users should provide the State Property tag on the device which requires software or hardware issues.
- All new employee equipment requests and access etc., should be made on the following webform
- All users must bring their laptop or any hardware device to campus for repairs or pick up replacement parts; if OTS can not fix them over the phone.
- The primary function of the OTS Hardware Technical staff is to "repair" computer property currently owned by the University of Baltimore. The cost for hardware services and repairs are provided by OTS (such as refurbishing parts, batteries, bulbs, etc.) at the maximum cost of $100.00. The department will be required to pay for any amount exceeding this limit. In addition, OTS can only provide the financial end of these standards as long as funds are available.
- OTS does not cover the cost of replacement items such as new monitors, laser printer maintenance kits, toner, cables, paper, diskettes, or other similar items.
- OTS does not cover shipping or handling costs to ship technology or equipment to campus community members. The department handles shipping and handling along with any packaging. All items shipped by the departments will need insurance based on the item cost.
- OTS does not cover the cost of any upgrades. The cost is the responsibility of the requesting department.
- OTS will not pay for any outside services contracted by departments.
- The relocation of any inventory items, such as microcomputer systems, scanners, and printers, should be reported to the Call Center immediately. The necessary information can be transmitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The information should include the Property Control Number, Item Description, Previous Location & Owner, and New Location & Owner.
- Computers that are relocated must be reported to the OTS Call Center. Provide the computer property control number and the previous and the new location where the system will be stationed.
- All laptops, computers, or UBalt devices are for faculty and staff usage; all equipment is the user's responsibility to ensure the device's security and safety when in your possession. The devices are not to be borrowed or loaned to other non-UBalt campus members.
- UBalt campus faculty and staff are issued one device to use in the office or for hybrid work.
- All employees leaving UBalt should complete the Human Resource form for exiting UBalt and have it signed by Call Center Manager to verify all equipment and devices have been returned to UBalt before their termination date. The department is responsible for retrieving or paying the replacement cost of any equipment not returned to OTS.
- OTS Technical support staff are not responsible for backing up users' hard drives. Users should routinely back up their systems. Users should perform backups before submitting work requests to the OTS Call Center for hardware repairs. OTS is not responsible for data lost when work is performed on a computer.
- OTS will support only standardized networked computer software purchased and installed by OTS on the University Network.
- As a courtesy to users and departments, OTS occasionally installs non-standard software on the network. Those requesting this service must get approval from the Network Manager before purchasing the software.
- OTS is not responsible for any software independently installed on a user's system or for any software installed as a courtesy on the university network. Individual users and departments must supply their support.
- OTS should be involved before any business agreement or contract is signed by a UBalt college, UBalt office, or University sanction organization where an outside vendor will be used to send emails to members of the UBalt user community.
- OTS’ involvement during the initial contract/business agreement phase would enable OTS to develop points of contact with the vendors technical staff, and if needed, implement changes to ensure UBalt’s email SPAM filters will not block incoming emails from the vendor for the duration of the campaign.
- If UBalt is providing any student email names and email addresses to an outside vendor for any purpose, approval must be granted by the Office of the Registrar. The Office of Community Life should also be notified of any campaign that includes UBalt students.
- If UBalt is providing any staff/faculty email names and email addresses to an outside vendor for any purpose, approval must be granted by the Office of Government and Public Affairs or the Office of Human Resources.
- The Manager of the OTS Call Center should be informed and provided any necessary information when a campaign is about to begin in the event questions are received by the OTS Call Center.
E-Mail Account Backup Standards
Email functionality at the University of Baltimore is provided and hosted by Microsoft. This service does not allow for restoring mailboxes after the account has been deleted.
Deleted emails will indefinitely remain in the Deleted Items folder, and once deleted from there, will only be recoverable within a 14-day period.