Where Are They Now?: College of Commerce
A Glimpse of the Baltimore College of Commerce
- The Baltimore College of Commerce opened in 1909 and merged with the University of Baltimore in 1973.
- The college was originally located on the corner of Cathedral and Franklin streets in the central building of the Young Men’s Christian Association of Baltimore. This building is now the Mount Vernon Hotel, located across the street from the Enoch Pratt Library.
- The college was a charter member of the Baltimore branch of YMCA schools.
- The college boasted a coffee shop and restaurant, library and recreational facilities, including a gymnasium and a swimming pool.
- In 1955, the college offered three degrees: accounting, business management and marketing. Ten years later, all three merged into a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Over the next decade, the college added a certificate in accounting and associate degrees in business administration and management, executive secretarial (skills), general education, marketing, business organization and secretarial accounting.
- There were 39 faculty members; the faculty comprised “business and professional men and women who [were] engaged in the practical work of their occupations.”
- The faculty taught small classes with the “problem-project method” of instruction, which focused on getting the student to think in real-world terms.
- The college’s mission involved providing a “thorough, practical and usable education for young people who have entered, or who plan to enter, the field of business. … It is a further purpose of the college to give students as wide an understanding of life as is possible in addition to a thorough training for business.”
information taken from the 1955-56 Baltimore College of Commerce program guide, courtesy of Langsdale Library