Using the From and Bcc Fields in Outlook 2013
These instructions are used when you need to have the recipients or addressees of an email in the blind carbon copy (Bcc) field and if you need to send the email from an account other than your personal account. These instructions are specifically for addressing an email to a distribution list but can also be used for addressing emails to an individual.
Before you send the email, you need to know:
- The list name. If you don't know the list name, please contact the OTS Call Center.
- The account name that you'll be sending the email as. Permissions to send from another account, such as a departmental address like Records or Admissions, needs to be setup in advance. Contact the OTS Call Center if you need the permissions changed for an account.
Microsoft Outlook 2013: How to Display the From and Bcc Fields
- Open Outlook 2013.
- From the Home tab, click New E-mail.
- From the Options tab click the Bcc and From fields to display.
Your blank message window should now display the From, To, Cc, Bcc, and Subject fields as shown below.
Microsoft Outlook 2013: Populating the From, To, and Bcc Fields
- In the From field, type the name of the account the email should be sent from. The example below shows firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: You need to have permissions to send from another account. Contact the OTS Call Center for information on obtaining permissions to send from another account.
- The To field can be left blank but it is recommended that you enter something in here so that it is less likely to be picked up as spam or bulk email by another email system. Entering the same address in the To field that you used for the From field is recommended. See example below.
- Type the name of the list or recipients in the Bcc field.
- Enter a subject and your message. Verify your information is correct.
- Send the message. If you entered an address in the To field, that addressee will also receive a copy of the message.
Outlook Web App: How to Display the From and Bcc Fields
- Open Outlook Web App.
- Click New in the upper left corner to type a new message.
- If the Bcc and From fields are not displayed by default, click the extended menu icon (...)
- Click Show Bcc and Show From.
Your message window should now display the From, To, Cc, Bcc, and Subject fields.
If you experience any problems with sending a message and need assistance, please contact the OTS Call Center at 410.837.6262 or email@example.com.