Contact us to rent the lab:
For more information and for rates, contact
Professor Kathryn Summers.
The lab can be rented on a full-day or half-day basis, and rental includes the assistance of a graduate student to set up and run the eye-tracking equipment.
Where we are:
University of Baltimore
Academic Center (basement)
1420 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Once you arrive at the Academic Center through the main entrance on Charles Street, turn right and continue all the way down the hall (near the Office of the University Registrar). Make a right through the doors to the stairwell. Continue straight back past the stairs until you find the stairs leading down to the lab.
Hours: 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
Rent the University of Baltimore's Usability Lab on a per-day or per-half-day basis to take full advantage of cutting-edge research tools in a university applied research setting.
Why usability testing?
Usability testing ensures your intended audience can carry out tasks—for example, purchasing items, identifying relevant information, communicating with appropriate parties—efficiently, effectively and satisfactorily. Therefore, user testing can help your organization:
- achieve more sales, higher productivity and better customer satisfaction ratings
- reduce the number of support calls and complaints
- alleviate the need for training
- minimize maintenance and repair costs.
We've enjoyed using the usability lab at the University of Baltimore to test both PC- and browser-based games. It is conveniently located in the heart of Baltimore and has up-to-date equipment and recording software, and we really enjoy having the real-time eye-tracking capacity. The staff are professional and courteous, and we look forward to running many more studies in their lab.
— Jason Schklar, Initial Experience Consulting
UB's research services provide high-quality support for your usability research needs.
The Usability Lab staff, led by Professor Kathryn Summers in the School of Information Arts and Technologies, provides support to complement your research needs. This may include:
- eye-tracking setup
- technical support of data collection
- data export
- complete study design*
- data analysis*
- report generation*
- consultation on and review of test protocols
- Tobii eye-tracker recording of participant actions and speech as .avi data files
- data file transfer to a fire-wire hard drive provided by the client or burned to DVDs at testing completion
- one-year archiving of the study database.
We love working with the UB Usability Lab. They have the latest eye-tracking equipment and assistants who'll help you set up and analyze your test results. Their location next to Penn Station also makes it convenient for D.C.-area people. They're very professional, knowledgeable and friendly.
— Nicole Burton, user experience evangelist, U.S. General Services Administration
Don't take our word for it.The Usability Lab's clients include:
- Human Factors International
- Redish & Associates
- National Cancer Institute
- My Medicare Matters
- PNC Bank
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Department of the Treasury's Bureau of the Public Debt.