Certificate in Professional Counseling Studies Certificate Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2016 and thereafter. Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- You can also reference the graduation requirements for the year in which you enrolled on the portal; view graduation requirements by year (PDF) in the right-hand column of your MyResources page.
- Read the course descriptions.
This 18-credit program requires the following:
Core Courses (6 credits)
- Psychopathology and Diagnosis (APPL 610)
- Advanced Treatment Techniques (APPL 616)
If you have already completed these core courses or their equivalents, you may replace them with other courses.
Electives (12 credits)
Students seeking Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) status may take two to six courses from the list below to count as either specific Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists requirements or electives. Consult with your adviser to determine which courses may count as requirements of electives.
Choose a maximum of four courses.
- Ethics and Legal Issues in the Practice of Psychology (APPL 602)
- Advanced Theories of Personality and Counseling (APPL 605)
- Basic Counseling Techniques (APPL 606)
- Applied Assessment Procedures (APPL 608)
- Human Development (APPL 613)
- Personality Assessment (APPL 617)
- Intellectual Assessment (APPL 618)
- Psychological Assessment (APPL 619)
- Substance Abuse Counseling (APPL 621)
- Group Counseling (APPL 622)
- Career Counseling (APPL 623)
- Multicultural Counseling (APPL 625)
- Family Therapy (APPL 626)
- Child and Adolescent Therapy (APPL 627)
- College Counseling (APPL 628)
- Special Topics: Topics in Counseling (APPL 629)--recent topic taught: Nature and Treatment of Anxiety Disorders
- Intermediate Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (APPL 631)--This course is not a board requirement but is a prerequisite for APPL 632 at UB.
- Research Methods (APPL 632)
- Research and Evaluartion (APPL 633)
- Treatment of Trauma (APPL 662)
- Treatment of Depressive Disorders (APPL 663)
- Practicum in Counseling (APPL 703)*
- Internship in Counseling (APPL 708)*
*If a practicum or internship is needed, the student must take a minimum of one course at UB in the counseling program prior to the semester in which the practicum is taken. UB faculty cannot endorse a student for practicum until that course has been successfully completed and the student has demonstrated ongoing fulfillment of the program's standards for graduate students in counseling.
As needed, students may also take any other counseling course to satisfy requirements for the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists "electives category" (the Board requires six 3-credit courses of electives).
A faculty adviser may provide advice concerning degrees and coursework that will be acceptable to the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists; however, final authority to accept or reject a particular degree or any individual course as applicable to licensure rests with the Board.
as of fall 16