Certificate in Professional Counseling Studies Certificate Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2014 and thereafter. Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- You can also reference the graduation requirements for the year in which you enrolled on the portal; view graduation requirements by year (PDF) in the right-hand column of your MyResources page.
- Read the course descriptions.
This 18-credit program requires the following:
Core Courses (6 credits)
- Psychopathology and Diagnosis (APPL 610)
- Advanced Treatment Techniques (APPL 616)
If you have already completed these core courses or their equivalents, you may replace them with other courses.
Electives (12 credits)
Choose a maximum of four courses.
- Ethics and Legal Issues in the Practice of Psychology (APPL 602)
- Advanced Theories of Personality and Counseling (APPL 605)
- Basic Counseling Techniques (APPL 606)
- Applied Assessment Procedures (APPL 608)
- Human Development (APPL 613)
- Personality Assessment (APPL 617)
- Intellectual Assessment (APPL 618)
- Psychological Assessment (APPL 619)
- Substance Abuse Counseling (APPL 621)
- Group Counseling (APPL 622)
- Career Counseling (APPL 623)
- Multicultural Counseling (APPL 625)
- Family Therapy (APPL 626)
- Child and Adolescent Therapy (APPL 627)
- College Counseling (APPL 628)
- Special Topics: Topics in Counseling (APPL 629)*
*recent topic taught: Nature and Treatment of Anxiety Disorders
- Intermediate Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (APPL 631)**
**This course is not a board requirement but is a prerequisite for APPL 632 at UB.
- Research Methods (APPL 632)
- Practicum in Counseling (APPL 703)
as of fall 15