Creative Writing & Publishing Arts Admission Requirements
- a bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited college or university
Note that the GRE is not required for admission to this program.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Online application. Complete and submit the online application and pay the $50 application fee. (To pay in-state tuition, you must submit the Maryland In-State Residency form). You can submit your Statement of Personal Interest electronically as part of the online application.
- Official transcript(s). Request that an official transcript of all prior college or university work (including graduate courses, if applicable) be sent directly from each institution attended; electronic transcripts are encouraged.
- Letters of recommendation. Have two professors or employers submit letters of recommendation on your behalf; these should be sent in sealed envelopes with signatures across the sealed portion or emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portfolio. Submit (by email as a pdf to email@example.com) a portfolio of no more than 10 poems or 10-15 pages of prose (fiction or literary nonfiction). Include a copy of your Statement of Personal Interest with your portfolio.
Send all materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the University of Baltimore Office of Graduate Admission, 1420 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21201.
We've got answers. Check out our frequently asked questions page or watch this 10-minute Q&A with program director Betsy Boyd to learn more about the MFA in Creative Writing & Publishing Arts program.