Creative Writing and Publishing Arts Degree Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2013 and thereafter. Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- Read the course descriptions.
This 48-credit M.F.A. program requires the following:
Foundation Course (3 credits)
- Creativity: Ways of Seeing (CWPA 620)
Writing Workshops (6 credits)
Choose two workshops from the same genre.
- Fiction Workshop (CWPA 622)
- Poetry Workshop (CWPA 623)
- Literary Nonfiction (CWPA 626)
- Memoir Workshop (CWPA 627)
Design (3 credits)
- Type & Design for Creative Writers (CWPA 651)
Publishing Arts (6 credits)
- Book Arts (CWPA 780)
and one of the following:
- Electronic Publishing (CWPA 781)
- Creating the Journal (CWPA 782)
- Print Publishing (CWPA 783)
Writing & Literature (6 credits)
- Experimental Forms (CWPA 786)
- Seminar in Literature & Writing (CWPA 787)
Culminating Courses (9 credits)
- Seminar in Creative Writing & Publishing Arts
- M.F.A. Thesis I (CWPA 796)
- M.F.A. Thesis II (CWPA 799)
Electives (15 credits)
Choose five electives from among many in writing, design, literature, publishing, multimedia and technology.