You are unbeatable when playing video and computer games. Now learn to be a pro at creating them.
- University of Baltimore (Baltimore)
- Universities at Shady Grove (Rockville)
What you'll study:
- applied game design theory
- the fundamentals of computer programming
- 3-D modeling and animation
- usability design
- the application of simulation to education and other nonentertainment fields
- design of multiplayer games.
The coursework can help prepare you for graduate study or a career in information technology and computer science, as well as business and visual design.
Among the best.
- Founded in 2003, the Simulation and Game Design program is the oldest and largest game design program in Maryland, with over 150 students spanning two campuses—UB and UB at the Universities at Shady Grove.
UB is ranked #2 on list of the
Top 23 Best Game Design Schools for 2020
according to Intelligent.com.
- UB's hybrid Simulation and Game Design program was selected by BestColleges.com as one the Best Online Bachelor's in Video Game Design programs for 2019.
- UB's hybrid Simulation and Game Design program was named among the most affordable online game design programs by AffordableColleges.com.
How the program works:
To enhance your skills in a specific area of specialization, you'll choose from one of two content areas:
Technical Art: If you want to build your skill sets with 3-D modeling and animation and with integrating them into game engines, this track prepares you to become a technical artist who works with programmers and artists. The track focuses on higher-level 3-D skills and requires visual artistic talent.
- Coding and Development: This area of specialization is ideal for you if you want to improve your scripting and logic in preparation for a career as a game developer, turning ideas into functional videogames and simulations. Whether you have a ton of ideas that you do not yet have the coding skills to implement, or are an advanced coder who wants to take your skills to the next level, our program will help you advance your capabilities and make you an asset to your team.
Through dual capstone seminars, you'll work closely with professionals to test and build games and simulations, and you'll graduate with a portfolio of projects to showcase your skills.
B.S. students Cesar Ricardo and Chantil Hunt Estevez
Cesar and Chantil are putting to practice the skills they need to bring their stories to life. Hear what they like about UB's B.S. in Simulation and Game Design program. Learn more about UB's games and media research lab.
Capstone Project: Horrific Halls
Take a look as Nathan Dupree, Gary Keeler, Adam Mizell, Chris Rizzo and Reeve Watts navigate the hallways of the University of Baltimore's Academic Center through a horror video game they developed for their senior capstone project.
The UB GameLab is an educational research facility equipped with immersive, visualization and interactive game technologies. The lab is designed to support interdisciplinary research in games and media, and is an ideal training ground for Simulation and Game Design students. To learn more and see student work, visit the UB GameLab Blog.
For more information about undergraduate admission, please contact the Offices of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.877.ApplyUB.