Skip to content

College of Public Affairs

Here you will find detailed information on the logistics of being an adjunct faculty member at the University of Baltimore. Explore, enjoy, benefit and email Associate Dean Laura Wilson-Gentry if you have any questions, comments or suggestions about the content of this guidebook.

If you are teaching at the Universities at Shady Grove, reference the Universities at Shady Grove Faculty Guidebook.

The Hiring Process

Adjunct faculty members are initially hired by executive directors or program directors within the College of Public Affairs. Adjunct faculty members must meet certain educational and professional standards to be appointed to teach courses at the bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral levels.

Adjunct faculty members’ salaries are based on the level of course they will teach and the highest degree they have earned. There are two levels of adjunct appointments: Adjunct Faculty I and Adjunct Faculty II. Adjunct Faculty II rank is awarded to those adjunct faculty members who have a consistently high level of teaching performance.

The hiring process requires recommendation for hire from the academic program, approval by the associate dean, completion of application forms and submission of various documents.

Some documents must be completed only the first time you are hired to teach as an adjunct faculty member. Other documents need to be updated and resubmitted every semester that you teach. For more information, see the Adjunct Hiring Checklist.

Adjuncts do not have to fill out a timesheet for their adjunct teaching responsibilities. During the spring and fall semesters, adjuncts are paid three times, given the contract is submitted to UB’s Office of Human Resources by the deadline stated on your offer letter. During the summer semester, adjunct faculty members are paid once. For more information, see the Adjunct Hiring Checklist.

Summer 2015

  • adjuncts who are contractual employees of UB: June 24
  • adjuncts who are full-time faculty or staff employees of UB: July 1

Paystubs are not distributed to your UB mailbox in hard copy. Those employees who have not applied for direct deposit will receive their paychecks via mail, at their home addresses only. Learn more about UB Payroll.

Adjunct faculty members should address questions related to the courses they will teach to the faculty member who hired them. They should address questions about the hiring process and contracts to Cynthia Opakunle (410.837.5210), academic coordinator in the Office of the Dean, LAP 106.

UB’s Adjunct Faculty Policy

Getting Started

Note the Faculty and Staff resource page, which contains news and links pertinent to employees.


  • School of Public and International Affairs and School of Health and Human Services:
    Latrina Bowman
  • School of Criminal Justice:
    Linda Fair
  • Administrative Support

    Your school academic program specialist can provide support in:

    • locating your physical mailbox and the college’s adjunct office; you are encouraged to check your mailbox regularly for student correspondence and University notifications
    • photocopying
    • placing textbook orders
    • identifying and completing various academic forms: administrative withdrawal, grade change, request for incomplete “I” grade, etc.

Your NetID allows access to MyUB, email, UB office computers, the campus wireless network and computers in UB computer labs. NetIDs for adjunct faculty members are active for one calendar year from the start of their contracts. If the contract is renewed, so is the calendar year of NetID account activation. If you teach at least one semester per year, you should not experience interruptions in your account activity. Once an account is deactivated (meaning you cannot use it to log in to UB systems), it is maintained as an inactive account for approximately two semesters; should you be rehired during that two-semester period, the account can be reactivated easily.

For more information about employment of adjunct faculty, please see the  UB policy guide .

Payroll Online Service Center
Go green and enroll to access your payroll information electronically, including pay stub history, W-2 forms, address update functions, direct deposit authorization and W-4 withholding changes.

Through MyUB, our secure online portal for transactional business, you can access your email, your class rosters and gradebook, the Sakai online course management system, your personal data storage drives (M, R, H and S: see the OTS glossary for more information about these drives), and other resources.

  • Logging into MyUB

    There are three ways to log in to MyUB:

  • Viewing your class schedule

    1. Log in to the MyUB portal.
    2. Click on My Faculty Center.
    3. Select the appropriate term.
    4. Your schedule for the selected term will display.

Human Resources Information
The HR Self Service area of MyUB allows you to view and change your personal information (My Personal Information link), view current and past paychecks (View Paycheck link), and view and update your education and personal development information (Education and Personal Dev link) with the Office of Human Resources. Note that you should notify the Office of the Dean about education and personal development updates, too, as these can positively influence your salary. You can also browse other pertinent human resources information in the Human Resources Information area of MyUB.

All official UB email business must be conducted via a UB email account. Your UB email account can be forwarded to your personal email address for your convenience. See the official email policy.

Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about UB email and more

  • How to access your email through Outlook Web Access

    1. Log in to the MyUB portal.
    2. In the Tools section (upper, right-hand corner), click on “Email” (top left icon).
    3. Outlook Web Access will open in a new window.
  • How to email your entire class

    You can email your entire class using My Faculty Center on the MyUB portal or, if you are using Sakai (our online learning platform) to support your class, you can email students through Sakai. (Just make sure to check the box to send to student email addresses.)

    1. Log in to the MyUB portal.
    2. Click on My Faculty Center.
    3. In your class schedule, click on the class roster icon for the appropriate class.
    4. At the bottom of the roster, click “Notify Listed Students.” (You can also email a selected group of students by clicking on the check boxes next to their names and then clicking “Notify Selected Students.”)
    5. You’ll see a screen from which you can email these students.

Frequently asked questions (about all things electronic)

Access UB’s online course management tool, UBOnline (powered by Sakai), from the Tools menu in MyUB. Learn more about UBOnline or contact Terry Ross (410.837.5078), program manager in the e-Learning Center. To access UBOnline, use your UB username and password. If you want a Sakai class site to support your course, please contact Terry to set up the Sakai site.

Reference the academic calendar for the current semester. Make sure to check the calendar each semester, as the University holds classes on some holidays and not on others. The calendar also indicates the dates of spring break.

You can also reference the University's course offerings for each semester.


The Bee Card is your official University ID card. Once your contract has been processed by the Office of Human Resources, visit Academic Center, Room 105, to obtain your Bee Card; you'll need a form of photo ID to have your Bee Card issue.

The Bee Card is required to access the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center and to use library services, including checking out library books. Showing your Bee Card at the Barnes & Noble at the University of Baltimore makes you eligible for a 10 percent discount. Bee Cards may also be necessary for eligibility for various faculty/teaching privileges and discounts with outside vendors and retailers.

Adjunct faculty members can select one of two options to park in campus facilities (see the campus map). Your Bee Card serves as your parking access card.

  • Two parking options are available to adjunct faculty:

    • flat monthly rates to park at either the Maryland Avenue Garage ($15/month) or the Fitzgerald Garage ($32.50/month); you must set up a parking account to take advantage of this option
    • a flat daily rate of $5, payable by credit/debit card, Bee Card or cash each time you park; no account is required

    Note that rates are for the 2013-14 academic year and are subject to change thereafter.

  • Before creating your parking account, make sure you have the following information available:

    • your UB ID number (listed on your paycheck and accessible on your MyUB MyHR page by clicking “Payroll, Taxes and Salary,” then “View Paycheck,” then locating “Employee ID;” note this is not your UB username) and UB email address
    • your vehicle information (make, model, color, license plate number and state of issuance) for every vehicle you plan to park in a UB parking facility
    • your driver’s license number and state of issuance
    • your payment information, including your credit/debit card number and card expiration date.
  • To apply for a flat monthly rate:

    • Access the PMI website for UB parking registration.
    • Select the link for adjunct faculty under "Employee Resources" on the right-hand side of the page.
    • Log in or select "Click Here!" below the "Submit" button.
    • Select an account location: 30301-1102-1104 for the Maryland Avenue Garage or 30313 for The Fitzgerald Garage.
    • Fill out the form. Type your UB employee ID number into the first field, which requests “Faculty/Employee #.” Click "Submit."
    • You will receive additional information by email.

Your Bee Card serves as your garage entry card. Once you have selected your preferred parking option, your Bee Card will be activated for use. Contact Steve Carroll, 410.837.6573, with general questions.

Visit the UB parking website for more information.

Your academic program specialist can help you submit textbook orders or you can order them yourself through Barnes & Noble at the University of Baltimore.

You should order textbooks for your class as soon as possible through the Faculty page of the bookstore's website. (Alternatively, you can access the UB bookstore's home page and click on "Faculty Resources" in the top, right-hand corner.) Register to submit course and book information, review books used for courses in previous terms, select new titles and provide the bookstore with additional information about course and book needs.

If you are not using any text materials, you must indicate this through the bookstore's website.

You may want to reference the bookstore's frequently asked questions about textbook ordering.

Copy Cat Printing in the UB Student Center can print and copy course materials for you, but keep in mind that electronic and even hard-copy course reserves through Langsdale Library can be environmentally friendly, more cost-effective alternatives to sharing materials with your students.

  • Copyright, electronic and hard copy reserves information

    Students have access, from both on and off campus, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to password-protected electronic versions of book chapters, journal articles, documents, Power Point presentations, spreadsheets, etc., that you identify for your courses. The library will handle copyright compliance, assisting faculty by seeking permissions, acquiring materials and help to sort out the somewhat complicated rules of Fair Use.

    In addition to electronic reserves, Langsdale Library also offers traditional hard copy reserves, allowing students to access books and media items (DVDs, VHS tapes, etc.) during library hours. Most reserves are held as “two-hour, in-library use only,” but arrangements can be made to make reserve materials available for overnight or two-, three- or seven-day circulation.


For information about how to photocopy and fax on campus and where the appropriate tools can be accessed, please consult your school’s academic program specialist.

Adjunct faculty have access to an office space in the Liberal Arts and Policy Building, Room 409. Contact Cynthia Opakunle (410.837.5210), academic coordinator in the Office of the Dean for more information.

In the Classroom

A syllabus for a college- or university-level course can have a variety of purposes. Foremost is that of informing its students what standards, requirements and outcomes will be expected of them in the course. The course syllabus is not a true contract, but in many ways it expresses an “informal agreement” between the instructor and the students. Students will ordinarily hold instructors to the content of the syllabus throughout the course. And conversely, instructors will hold students to that content throughout the course.

A second purpose is to inform other colleges and universities of the content of a course so they may determine if it is equivalent to a similar one that they offer, necessary when students transfer out of the University of Baltimore or graduate and then go on to pursue a higher degree.

A third major function of the syllabus is to present accreditation bodies with a thorough understanding of curriculum and instruction practices. Professional accrediting bodies will examine the integrity of departmental instruction and will look to course syllabi as part of their evaluation process.

For all of these purposes, the construction of a syllabus cannot be taken lightly. It must represent a true picture of the content and expectations of the course.

Ordinarily, the instructor is responsible for the course outline and syllabus; however, for required courses (including many general-education and program-requirements courses), certain content may be mandated as part of the course. The program director can provide you with this sort of information and may also be able to give you some sample syllabi from other instructors. The College of Public Affairs maintains an archive of syllabi so we can answer student questions; we can give you copies of past syllabi and we will also ask you to give us a copy of your syllabi.


View your class roster(s).

At the start of the semester, faculty members are expected to take attendance and verify that all students who are attending their class are on the official class roster and that no student whose name is on the official class roster has failed to attend the class.

College of Public Affairs policy prohibits students who are not registered for a particular course from attending those classes. Instructors may not permit any student to sit in a class with the hope that he or she will be allowed to register late or that the instructor will overload the class. Students seeking late registration for a class that is full should be referred to the appropriate academic program coordinator or faculty advisers. Individual faculty members may not overload classes.


By the end of the first month of the semester (first two weeks of a summer semester), faculty members should notify the Office of the University Registrar if a student has never attended their class. A student can withdraw from a course until the ninth week of the fall or spring semesters or the fifth week of the eight-week summer session. If, at the end of the semester, a student has not petitioned for a W grade, a student who has not had sufficient attendance to pass the course must be issued an FA grade; this is computed into the student's GPA as an F grade would be. In cases in which students encounter extenuating circumstances after the W deadline has passed, a petition requesting a WA may be processed by the Office of the Dean. You will be asked if you agree with this grade.

To prepare for situations in which students may miss considerable class time, faculty members should include an attendance policy in their syllabi.


  • Definition

    Cheating, plagiarism, falsification and submission of the same work in multiple classes. For the more formal definition of these terms, please go to the University policy on academic integrity.

    All UB students are required to complete satisfactorily the Universityplagiarism tutorial.

  • Turnitin

    Turnitin is a Web-based solution for managing writing assignments, via multiple phases of feedback and revisions. Its three interrelated services greatly accelerate the learning process, involving students in their own development, freeing instructors from the burden of tracking papers and promoting critical thinking while maintaining academic integrity. Faculty members can use it to check for similarity with other published works.

    Turnitin is fully integrated with Sakai; simply select “Use Turnitin” when creating an assignment in Sakai, and a Turnitin originality report will be generated for any student submission for that assignment, generally within an hour of submission.

    To access Sakai, use your UB username and password.

  • Getting help

    • Read the instructor tutorials on Turnitin.
    • If you have further questions, reach Turnitin’s technical support staff at or 510.287.9720, extension 241. You can also contact Terry Ross (410.837.5078), program manager in the e-Learning Center.

Classrooms are assigned through the University’s room scheduling system. If you have special room needs or other room-related concerns, contact Associate Dean Laura Wilson-Gentry, who serves as the college's room manager.

Information about Baltimore weather and other closings can be obtained from the University’s website or its weather information line, 410.837.4201.

The Universities at Shady Grove have their own closing policy. If you are teaching at USG, please go to the USG campus alerts page to see if USG has closed.

  • Illness and personal emergencies

    If you need to cancel your class due to illness or personal emergency:

    1. Email your entire class about their canceled class as early as possible.
    2. Contact your academic program specialist as early as possible to allow enough time to post a sign on the classroom door. Specify the course name, course number, course day and time, and room.
    3. Notify the Office of the Dean (410.837.5359) that you have canceled your class and that you have made arrangements with the department administrative support to notify your students and to post a notice.
    4. Report seasonal flu instances (for yourself only) to your direct supervisor.

    Note that if you have already notified students of canceled classes (planned in advance) via your syllabus, reminding your department's administrative support and the Office of the Dean a day in advance of your canceled class is sufficient.

Access UB's online course management tool, UBOnline (powered by Sakai), from the Tools menu in MyUB.

Learn more about UBOnline or contact Terry Ross (410.837.5078), program manager in the e-Learning Center.

If you wish to have a Sakai site for a course, contact Terry Ross (410.837.5078). To access UBOnline, use your UB username and password.

Find, get and use library resources, including searching multiple catalogs and databases, taking advantage of InterLibrary Loan and getting research help.

Learn more about specific faculty services including electronic reserve requests, library instruction sessions, InterLibrary Loan requests and Library Liaisons.

Students can challenge their grades in a course up to 60 days after the course has completed or they can file academic or nonacademic grievances.

Student Code of Conduct

The Counseling Center delivers mental health services to the UB community.

The Achievement and Learning Center offers writing and math assistance, placement testing, tutoring services, workshops and more for UB community members. Find out more about the faculty services.

The Office of Disability and Access Services offers assistance to students with disabilities and provides training to accommodating these students.

Wrapping Up the Semester

The University distributes electronic course evaluations via email to students. To enhance return rates, faculty should consider allocating some class time to allow students to complete the evaluations. Faculty will receive their evaluations approximately one week after grades are due.


Find, get and use library resources, including searching multiple catalogs and databases, taking advantage of InterLibrary Loan and getting research help.

Learn more about specific faculty services including electronic reserve requests, library instruction sessions, InterLibrary Loan requests and Library Liaisons using the links in the Faculty and Staff tab in the lower, left-hand corner of the Langsdale Library home page.

Explore timesheet information, employee benefits, policies, general employment/compensation information and all HR-related forms.

These pages provide all the information you need about technology support on and off the UB campus.