Learn to lead effectively.
You can also complete this program:
- entirely online through our fully accredited, nationally recognized online M.P.A. program
- in convenient weekend and online formats at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Md.
- as a dual J.D./M.P.A. , allowing you to earn both degrees with 18-21 fewer credits than would be required to earn the two degrees independently.
Public administrators in government and nonprofit organizations must keep reinventing themselves to meet the new challenges of a changing society; our 42 to 45-credit* Master of Public Administration program trains you to do just that. (*The 3-credit internship requirement may be waived by the program director for those with pertinent experience.)
This program was the first in the state to be fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA). See the NASPAA Member Code of Good Practice.
Among the best in the country.
Our M.P.A. program led the College of Public Affairs to be ranked 64th nationally in
U.S. News & World Report's
2019 edition of "
Best Grad Schools
- Our entirely online M.P.A. program has been ranked #42 among the Top 50 Online Master's of Public Administration Programs 2018, according to TopManagementDegrees.com.
- Our entirely online M.P.A. program has been ranked 14th in the 2017 list of the 30 Best Online Master of Public Administration Degree Programs, according to TheBestSchools.org.
- Our entirely online M.P.A. program has been ranked 8th in the Top 50 Best Value Online MPA Programs of 2016 , according to ValueColleges.com.
Connect with us.
Like us on Facebook.
You will reflect critically on the role of public administration in a democratic society, the role you can play in applying our constitution and what your civic responsibilities are, as a public servant. You can choose from among six specializations:
- public policy and administration
- health-care policy and administration
- budgeting and fiscal administration
- negotiations and conflict management
- global affairs and human security
- public and nonprofit management.
You will also enhance your skills in research methods and quantitative techniques.
If you have not worked in the public sector, you can gain valuable experience through an internship or through a limited number of fully funded fellowships at UB's Schaefer Center for Public Policy, the research and consulting arm of the College of Public Affairs. Your work might involve program evaluation and analysis, opinion research, strategic planning, performance measurement or management training.
You are strongly encouraged to participate in American Society for Public Administration activities and in are invited to apply for membership in UB's chapter of Pi Alpha Alpha, an honorary public administration society for those who have achieved academic excellence.
M.P.A. Employment Information
Many students in the M.P.A. program are working professionals at the time of admission and are seeking to advance within their current organizations. See a list of employers and job titles of our fall 2014 and spring 2015 graduates, as well as alumni who graduated spring 2014 and prior.
current M.P.A. student
Jane recently secured the position of Analyst on Congress and the Legislative Process with the Congressional Research Service . In this new role, Jane will be researching, writing, and advising on legislative procedure for congressional staff and their members. “I emphasized the value of my UB analytical and quantitative courses in both my cover letter and interview--especially Prof. Gibson's course on budget analysis,” Jane said. “I think that made a difference in the selection process.”
Classes are offered evenings and online, and some courses are offered in the summer for continuing students.