Assurance of Learning: B.A. in Community Studies and Civic Engagement
Mission Statement: Using a model of community studies that focuses on ways to find and use the talents of local communities and institutions, students in the Bachelor of Arts in Community Studies and Civic Engagement (CSCE) program study perspectives on nonprofit institutions, citizenship, social action and mechanisms for change. These areas of study foster the development and enhancement of community with particular focus on Central Maryland. The CSCE program prepares students for graduate study in nonprofit administration or administrative roles in community and nonprofit organizations.
Program-Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduating from the B.A. in Community Studies and Civic Engagement program:
- Students will be able to evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of a variety of community-serving non-profit organizations.
- Students will be able to describe the foundations of community and civic engagement in American society, with a particular focus on Central Maryland.
- Students will be able to apply management skills to community organizations in real world situations.
- Students will be able to demonstrate leadership behaviors appropriate to community service.
- Students will be able to apply models of community decision making and ethical social activism for community change.