Skip to content

Below are answers to the most frequently asked questions when applying to the University of Baltimore as an international student.

  • How do you define an international student?

    The University of Baltimore defines international students as students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who are here on any type of visa.

  • What if I’m an internationally educated student?

    If you were educated at a non-U.S. institution, UB may require you to submit additional testing results and documentation. Students whose native language is not English and/or whose primary mode of instruction has been non-English may be required to take an English proficiency exam. Additionally, non-U.S. academic transcripts are required to be evaluated by a U.S. credential evaluation service. UB does not evaluate transcripts from non-U.S. schools.

  • How much does it cost to attend the University of Baltimore?

    For a detailed estimate of annual expenses, please refer to this guide.

  • How do you provide evidence of financial support?

    To assess a student or sponsor's ability and intention to pay for educational expenses, UB must receive financial certification documentation, including a letter of financial support and current bank statements. These documents will be reviewed before the student is eligible for issuance of visa forms. These documents also must be presented by the student to the consulate at the time of the visa interview and to the immigration inspector at the port of entry to the United States.

  • Do I need to provide proof of English language proficiency?

    Yes. All international applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency, which may include TOEFL and IELTS scores.

  • Where can international applicants get an official credential evaluation report?

    If you attended a college or university outside of the United States, you must arrange, at your expense, to have your academic record evaluated on a detailed, course-by-course basis by a U.S. credential evaluation service. UB accepts evaluation reports from services that are current members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

  • Do I really need to submit transcripts from every university I've attended?

    Yes. Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript.

  • Can you provide me with documents to apply for or transfer a student visa?

    All International students who need a form to apply for a student visa or need to transfer a current student visa from another U.S. institution must first complete the application process and be accepted to the University of Baltimore.

    An I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students) or DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status) form will not be issued until the Offices of Admission have received satisfactory financial documentation that shows the student can cover the cost of attendance for their first year of study.

  • What educational services do you have to support international students?

    Your admission adviser will provide guidance and assistance on visas, work authorizations and travel. All UB students have many other forms of support through the Career and Professional Development Center, the Diversity and Culture Center and the Achievement and Learning Center, where English tutoring and writing consultation is available.

  • How will I be able to check the status of my application and receive my admission decision?

    After we receive your application, you will be mailed login information to check your application status online. Admitted students will receive email notification of admission from the program director of their major.

  • Do you offer merit-based scholarships to international students?

    All undergraduate students may be eligible to receive a merit scholarship from the University of Baltimore based on the self-reported credentials. Fill out this form and we'll send you an estimated award amount.

  • Where can I find more information about financial aid?

    For more information regarding the financial aid process that is specific to international students, visit UB’s Office of Financial Aid.

  • Where do I submit my documents?

    All materials can be submitted digitally through MyUB, by email to or by mail to:

    University of Baltimore
    Office of Admission
    Academic Center, Room 117
    1420 N. Charles St.
    Baltimore, MD 21201

Still have questions? Contact an admission counselor at 410.837.4777 or

Last Published 8/23/17