Klein Family School of Communications Design
I've had the opportunity to offer creative nonfiction, storytelling and magazine writing classes all over the world, but the heart of my teaching is at University of Baltimore, where the city, the college and the M.F.A. program provide an ideal environment for work in this genre. Whether you are writing about your own life or about the world outside, I am here to help you find the narrative arc in your experiences and your true voice on the page, and to take your craft to the highest level. Our three-year program gives me the opportunity to mentor emerging writers in profound and productive ways, helping shape their lifetime writing habits and launch their literary careers.
What you will find in creative nonfiction at the University of Baltimore is a serious, authentic, entertaining, and emotionally riveting process that will challenge you to become the best writer you can be. As a working writer and journalist, my approach to teaching is rooted in a fine arts studio model rather than an academic one; the workshop is the place where I share what I know about my craft with aspiring novices and journeymen. As a passionate reader and critic (I write reviews for Newsday and for Kirkus Reviews), I believe that what we read is as important as what we write -- as my student, you will be exposed to memoirs, personal essays, and books on craft that will change your life.
Marion's debut novel, The Acknowledgments, about a memoir professor living in Baltimore (!) is out on submission.
As a memoirist and NPR commentator, Winik knows a thing or two about expressing herself through words.
Winik is available for speaking engagements through redBrick Agency.
Works by Marion Winik:
- August in Paris (Shebooks, 2014)
- The End of the World As We Know It (Shebooks, 2014)
- Guesswork (Shebooks, 2013)
- Highs in the Low Fifties (Globe Pequot Press, 2013)
- The Glen Rock Book of the Dead (Counterpoint, 2008)
- Above Us Only Sky (Seal, 2005)
- Rules for the Unruly: Living an Unconventional Life (Simon and Schuster, 2001)
- The Lunch-Box Chronicles: Notes from the Parenting Underground (Pantheon, 1998)
- First Comes Love (Pantheon, 1996)
- Telling (Villard Books, 1994)
Additional Works by Marion Winik: