Certificate in Professional Counseling Studies Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2018 and thereafter. Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- You can also reference the graduation requirements for the year in which you enrolled on the portal; view graduation requirements by year (PDF) in the right-hand column of your MyResources page.
- Read the course descriptions.
This 18-credit program requires the following:
Core Courses (6 credits)
- APPL 610 Psychopathology and Diagnosis
- APPL 616 Advanced Treatment Techniques
If you have already completed these core courses or their equivalents, you may replace them with other courses.
Electives (12 credits)
Students seeking Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) status may take two to six courses from the list below to count as either specific Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists requirements or electives. Consult with your adviser to determine which courses may count as requirements of electives.
Choose a maximum of four courses.
- APPL 602 Ethics and Legal Issues in the Practice of Psychology
- APPL 605 Advanced Theories of Personality and Counseling
- APPL 606 Basic Counseling Techniques
- APPL 608 Applied Assessment Procedures
- APPL 613 Human Development
- APPL 617 Personality Assessment
- APPL 618 Intellectual Assessment
- APPL 619 Psychological Assessment
- APPL 621 Substance Abuse Counseling
- APPL 622 Group Counseling
- APPL 623 Career Counseling
- APPL 625 Multicultural Counseling
- APPL 626 Family Therapy
- APPL 627 Child and Adolescent Therapy
- APPL 628 College Counseling
- APPL 629 Special Topics: Topics in Counseling--recent topic taught: Nature and Treatment of Anxiety Disorders
- APPL 631 Intermediate Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences--This course is not a board requirement but is a prerequisite for APPL 632 at UB.
- APPL 632 Research Methods
- APPL 633 Research and Evaluartion
- APPL 662 Treatment of Trauma
- APPL 663 Treatment of Depressive Disorders
- APPL 703 Practicum in Counseling*
- APPL 708 Internship in Counseling*
*If a practicum or internship is needed, the student must take a minimum of one course at UB in the counseling program prior to the semester in which the practicum is taken. UB faculty cannot endorse a student for practicum until that course has been successfully completed and the student has demonstrated ongoing fulfillment of the program's standards for graduate students in counseling.
As needed, students may also take any other counseling course to satisfy requirements for the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists "electives category" (the Board requires six 3-credit courses of electives).
A faculty adviser may provide advice concerning degrees and coursework that will be acceptable to the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists; however, final authority to accept or reject a particular degree or any individual course as applicable to licensure rests with the Board.
as of fall 2018