Counseling Psychology Concentration: Careers and Internships
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, the need for professional counselors is expected to grow faster than average for all occupations, by 19% between 2014 and 2024. In the managed health care system, there is an increasing need for skilled master's-level counselors who can provide mental health services.
As a graduate of this program, you will obtain the necessary skills to prepare for a Ph.D. program (science specialization) or become a licensed clinical professional counselor (practitioner specialization or general counseling psychology track). Our graduates work in hospitals, school-based mental health programs, community mental health clinics, residential treatment centers, crisis response units, substance abuse treatment centers and private practice. Here are some of the places they've landed jobs:
Nonprofit, Community Mental Health and Residential Treatment
- Baltimore Crisis Response Team
- Catholic Charities
- Crossroads Center at Frederick
- Family Advocacy Services
- Glenwood Life Counseling Center
- HARBEL Prevention and Recovery Center
- Health Care for the Homeless
- Hospice of Howard County
- Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Mosiac Community Health
- PACT: Helping Children with Special Needs
- PDG, Inc.
- Sheppard Pratt
Prepare for a Ph.D. Program
Our graduates have been accepted into top Ph.D. programs at universities across the country. Check out where some of our Applied Psychology counseling graduates have continued their education:
- Boston College (Counseling Psyc)
- Lehigh University (Counseling Psyc)
- Loyola University (PsyD)
- Pennsylvania College of Medicine
- University at Albany (Counseling Psyc)
- University of Georgia (Counseling Psyc)
- University of Missouri-Columbia (Counseling Psyc)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Virginia Commonwealth University (Counseling Psyc)
Most students in the program are in the practitioner specialization, which requires one 100-hour practicum and a 600-hour internship. The 600-hour internship represents the gold standard in master’s level training. In fall of 2017, we had students working at 30 mental health organizations in the Baltimore area.
Counseling psychology student Santokh "Sam" Singh is currently interning as a school-based therapist at REACH! Partnership School in Baltimore. Sam’s internship is coordinated by the Community Psychiatry Program (CPP) at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Each year CPP hosts student interns from colleges and universities around the country.
All counseling tracks require at least one semester of practicum. Our practicum course meets the State of Maryland Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor licensure requirement for a course in field experience. These experiences provide connections to professionals already working in the field, as well as leads to potential jobs. UB students can look for possible practicum sites through UBworks (log into MyUB and click on the UBworks icon).
Check out where our students did their community placements during the fall 2017 semester:
- All Walks of Life, LLC
- Baltimore City Community College
- Complete Wellness, Inc. and UB LTC
- Congruent Counseling
- Crossroads Center of Frederick
- Davidsloft Clinical & Behavioral Programs
- Gaudenzia, Inc.
- Hampden Health Solutions
- MPB Group Inc.
- National Pike Health Center - Dundalk
- Partnership Development Group Inc
- Pro Bono Counseling Project
- Resource Connect
- Space Between Counseling Services
- The Arc Baltimore
- The Children's Guild: Monarch Academy PCS
- The Counseling Renaissance
- Thrive Behavioral Health
- Transformation Health
- University of Baltimore Counseling Center
- University of Maryland, Baltimore Employee Assistance Program
- University of Maryland, School of Mental Health Program
- VMCR - Fallstaff
For students who are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. after receiving their M.S. degree, UB offers potential research opportunities to work alongside a faculty member in the applied psychology division on their current research study. This gives students vital experience and preparation for their future pathway to a Ph.D. program.