Environmental Sustainability Degree Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2021 and thereafter.
Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- Read the course descriptions.
General Education Requirements
General Education requirements for all new students entering UBalt in fall 2017 and after.
- General Education requirements for all students who entered UBalt in fall 2016 and spring 2017.
- General Education requirements for all students who entered UBalt between fall 2014 and spring 2016.
Environmental Sustainability Program Requirements
Note that 17 credits of the core Environmental Sustainability program requirements can be satisfied by General Education requirements. An asterisk (*) indicates that course satisfies a General Education requirement.
Biological Science course (4 credits)
- BIOL 121 Fundamentals of Biology (4)*
Environmental Science (24 credits)
- ENVS 201 Environmental Sustainability (3)*
- ENVS 221 Science of the Environment (4)*
- ENVS 285 Environmental Chemistry (4)
- ENVS 300 Greater Baltimore Urban Ecosystems: Field Investigations (4)
- ENVS 375 Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology in Society (4)
- ENVS 420 Research Seminar in Environmental Science (2)
- ENVS 490 Special Projects in Environmental Sciences (3)
Social Science, Ethics, and Public Policy courses (15 credits)
- ANTH 222 Human Environmental Adaptations (3)
- PHIL 280 Environmental Ethics (3)*
- PPIA 480 Environmental Politics and Policy (3)
- PSYC 100 Introduction to Psychology (3)*
- PSYC 375 Environmental Psychology (3)
Major Electives (9 credits)
Choose three 3-credit courses (two must be from 300+ level courses).
Note: Any course on this list may be taken as a general elective as well.
Government, Policy, and International Affairs
- PPIA 210 Introduction to International Affairs
- PPIA 315 Public Policy Analysis (3)
- PPIA 322 Bureaucracy and Public Policy (3)
- PPIA 324 American Public Policy (3)
- PPIA 348 Legislative Process (3)
- PPIA 425 Administrative Law and Processes (3)
- PPIA 481 Globalization (3)
Law and Philosophy
- HIST 340 American Legal History (3)
- JPLA 200 Introduction to Jurisprudence (3)
- LEST 401 Legal Foundations (3)
- LEST 402 Legal Research and Analysis (3)
- PHIL 250 Social and Political Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 490 Theories of Justice (3)
- PHIL 496 International Law and Morality (3)
- PHIL 497 Special Topics in Philosophy (3)
Business and Economics
- ECON 200 The economic way of thinking (3)*
- ECON 409 International Economics (3)
- ENTR 101 Imagination, Creativity and Entrepreneurship (3)*
- ENTR 300 The Entrepreneurial Experience (3)
- MGMT 101 Business in a Changing World (3)*
- MKTG 301 Marketing Management (3)
- ANTH 110 Cultural Anthropology (3)*
- ANTH 410 Cultural Resource Management (3)
- ANTH 488 Special topics in Anthropology (3)
- ENVS 175 Ecology (3)*
- ENVS 310 Special topics in environmental science (3)
- ENVS 485 Internship in Environmental Sustainability (3)
- PHSC 101 Earth in Focus (3)*
- SOCI 303 Urban Sociology (3)
- IDIS 101 First Year Seminar: Introduction to University Learning (freshmen only; transfer students replace this with a different elective)
Complete as many courses as necessary from any discipline to fulfill your 120-credit requirement to graduate.
Information Literacy Requirement
Meet the UBalt Information Literacy graduation requirement by successfully completing one of the following options:
- INFO 110 Introduction to Information Literacy