Langsdale Library Renovation
Beginning in 2014, the Abell Foundation sponsored a design competition where six architectural firms competed for the chance to redesign and renovate the Langsdale Library. The renovation objectives include a new organization of the interior to create a transparent, accessible environment; improvements to the building’s energy efficiency and sustainability; a transformed façade; and other exterior and interior improvements to enhance the facility’s relationship to the campus and the surrounding neighborhood. Following a series of presentations from the firms, Behnisch Architekten of Boston was selected as the competition’s winner.
In the fall of 2016, the Library will undergo major renovations to provide modern study areas and office space for UB’s dynamic and evolving student. When completed, the 55,337 square-foot renovated library will transform from an old-fashioned book repository into a 21st-century information commons. The renovated library will apply forward-thinking technologies in information delivery and provide enhanced learning space by offering core services in one location. The Library endeavors to be the physical and digital nexus for information access, learning, and knowledge creation at the University of Baltimore.
Read Library 2.0 , an e-newsletter covering the renovations to the building.
Front of Langsdale Library
Back of Langsdale Library
rendering of langsdale library - front
rendering OF LANGSDALE LIBRARY - back
During the construction the Library staff, computer workstations, collections and archives will relocate to the third and fourth floors of the H. Mebane Turner Learning Commons.
The Library is located at 1420 N. Charles Street and was originally constructed in 1965. It is named after one of the University's founders, R. Loran Langsdale, who was President of the Board of Trustees for over 25 years.