It's your time to shine. Congratulations!
Spring 2016 Commencement Ceremony
Monday, May 23, 2016
- Graduate Ceremony: 10:30 a.m.
- Undergraduate Ceremony: 2 p.m.
Patricia and Arthur Modell Performing Arts Center at the Lyric
As you get ready for commencement, take care of this checklist:
1. Register to graduate.Complete by: Feb. 7/April 8
All students who anticipate graduating at the end of the semester must register online and pay the associated fee ($30 for undergraduate students and $40 for graduate/doctoral students) through MyUB or in person at the Office of Records and Registration.
• If you register after Feb. 7, there is a $10 late fee.
• If you do not register by April 8, you will not be able to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Once your registration is successfully completed, you will receive a notification by mail or through your UB email account. Please review the information immediately and notify the Office of Records and Registration if any information is incorrect. Diplomas will be mailed to the address listed in MyUB approximately eight weeks after the ceremony—so please make sure it is listed correctly on file.
Please note: All students who anticipate graduating must complete this step to be considered a UB graduate and receive a diploma.
2. Get suited up.Complete by: April 17
You are responsible for purchasing your commencement garb and can do so in one of two ways:
• at the Spring 2016 Graduation Fair or Senior Week
• online through Herff Jones,March 9 - April 17 ($15 shipping fee)
A limited number of garb pieces—excluding doctoral robes—will be available for purchase the week before the ceremony at Barnes & Noble at the University of Baltimore. A $20 late fee is required.
• Bachelor's (cap, gown, stole and tassel): $88.98
• Stole only: $33.98
• Master's (cap, gown, tassel and hood): $99.98
• Hood only: $40.98
• Doctoral rental: (tam, tassel, gown and hood): $123.98 – preorder required
• Souvenir tassel: $6.98
3. Pick up your tickets.Complete by: April 15
All guests entering the venue, including children, must present a ticket. Each graduate will receive five (5) tickets. You can get your tickets in one of three ways:
• at the Spring 2016 Graduation Fair
• at the Office of Community Life, Academic Center, Room 112, March 9 - April 15
• by submitting the Ticket Request Form, March 9 - April 15.
To pick up your tickets, you’ll need to present an ID and you’ll need to have registered to graduate at least 24 hours prior. We cannot allow anyone else to pick up tickets on your behalf.
4. Request any disability seating accommodations.Complete by: May 13
We’re happy to make arrangements for you or a guest; simply fill out the Seating Accommodation Form. We’ll do our best to reserve seats so guests can sit together but are unable to provide seat location information in advance.
5. Smile—you're on camera!Photo Information
Professional photographers will be at the ceremony taking several photos of each graduate. They'll take:
• individual portraits as you receive your diploma
• individual portraits just after you receive your diploma
• candid shots after the ceremony.
These photographs are taken free of charge with no obligation to order. After the ceremony, you will receive an order form through email that details how to view and order photos. Our photography service is Andrew Foster Photography (443.519.3253).
The UB commencement ceremony will be recorded so that graduates' family and friends may watch even if they cannot attend the actual ceremony.
How to Watch the Ceremony Recording: A few days after the ceremony, video of the event will be available at www.ubalt.edu/graduation. Additionally, the University's Office of Technology Services can provide a copy of the recording in DVD format for $5. If you wish to take advantage of this service, you will need to provide your own disc.
How to Order a Professional Video: From processional to recessional, the entire commencement ceremony will be professionally recorded. Graduates will be shown close up as they enter the venue and as they accept their diploma. Information will be sent to graduates on how to order this DVD, which costs $35.
You may also want to:
Let us know about any honor society memberships.We need you to identify the honor societies you belong to so we can recognize you in the commencement program. If you are a member of any of the following UB honor societies should complete the honor society recognition form. Please submit the form no later than Friday, April 1.
Alpha Phi Sigma
Beta Alpha Psi
Beta Gamma Sigma
Delta Alpha Pi
Delta Epsilon Iota
Helen P. Denit Honors Program
Mu Kappa Tau
National Society of Leadership and Success
Omicron Delta Kappa
Phi Alpha Theta
Pi Alpha Alpha
Pi Sigma Alpha
Sigma Iota Epsilon
Sigma Nu Tau
Sigma Tau Delta
Tau Epsilon Alpha
Upsilon Phi Delta
Apply to be a student speaker.The commencement ceremonies feature an undergraduate and graduate student who each present a 3-5 minute speech. If you would like to be considered as a student speaker, please submit the following information to email@example.com . The deadline for applications is Friday, April 1.
- full name
- mailing address
- email address
- academic status (undergraduate or graduate student)
- academic program
- grade point average
- description of campus and/or community involvement
- description of awards and accomplishments - school related and/or community
- a narrative outlining "your story" and why you believe you are a strong nominee for this selection (not to exceed four pages)
- your speech (This should be your best effort, though you may edit your work before the ceremony.)
Applications should be submitted to Kathleen Anderson, dean of students, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A committee will review all nominations and invite selected individuals for one-on-one interviews. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Apply to be a student vocalist.Whenever possible we prefer that a graduating student serve as the vocalist for the singing of the national anthem at the commencement ceremony. If you would like to be considered for this honor, please forward a video of yourself singing the anthem to email@example.com. The deadline for submissions is Friday, April 1.