We CARE about you!
The Office of Community Life (OCL) encourages students to make positive, healthy decisions, proactively pursue their goals and be responsible community members.
The office helps develop a positive university environment through its services and programs.
Compass: Provides one-on-one support to UB students who are working through a difficult situation that is significantly impacting their ability to be successful at UB. OCL helps students identify and connect with resources that can assist them in working through their situation while making positive choices that support their goals.
- Campus Resources and Policy Navigation: Assists students in understanding available campus resources and navigating university policies and procedures.
- Success Coaching: Provides students the opportunity to work with a coach to develop an action plan to overcome a challenge or obstacle affecting their ability to be successful.
- StAR Team: The Students at Risk (StAR) team is comprised of a group of university professionals who respond to students exhibiting signs of difficulty or who have demonstrated a pattern of out-of-character and/or concerning behavior. Individuals brought to the attention of the team are provided support and connected with resources to assist them in working through the obstacle and in meeting university expectations.
Wellness @ UB: Provides connections to campus and community resources that help students develop skills and learn habits to live a full, balanced and healthy life through the eight dimensions of wellness. Some of these resources include:
- Mental Health
- Alcohol and Other Drug Support
- Local Health Resources
- Staying safe on campus
- Disability Access and Services: Provides equal access for students with documented disabilities to university educational programs, activities and facilities. We support students by providing reasonable and appropriate accommodations for temporary or permanent disabilities, helping them develop self-advocacy skills, and connecting them with both university and external resources.
- BMale Academy: A mentoring program that inspires high academic achievement among UB's male students of color by supporting, embracing and engaging them in an effort to close the achievement, retention and graduation gaps.
- Community Standards: Educates students about making informed decisions and the importance of acting with integrity and respect. OCL coordinates the adjudication process for student conduct concerns (academic integrity, code of conduct, student sexual misconduct) and provides educational opportunities to foster a positive university environment.