Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions List

  • Where is my timesheet?

    You can access your timesheet by logging into

  • As an employee, what do I need to do with my timesheet?

    Enter the hours you worked and paid leave hours on the timesheet, preferably on a daily basis.

    Full-time employees report a minimum of 80 hours for the pay period. Part-time employees report the appropriate number of hours based on the prorated, full-time equivalent (FTE).

    Complete the timesheet according to the Payroll Schedule.

    Submit appropriate documentation, in paper form, when required.

    Documentation is always required when employees are on Family and Medical Leave, or serving on jury duty, military duty, etc.

    Obtain prior approval by the supervisor or HR when required.

    Review the timesheet often during the bi-weekly pay period to ensure you have recorded the total number of hours.

    Non-exempt employees must record daily time including in/out time and at least ½ hour break for lunch if the work day is six hours or more.

    Note: Lunch time is not paid time.

  • As a timekeeper or backup timekeeper, what responsibilities do I have for timesheets?

    Act as the main point of contact for employees' time reporting questions.

    Serve as a guide to new employees until they become familiar with the timesheet system.

    Answer questions regarding leave usage and work hours.

    Ensure that all employees in the work group submit timesheets for approvals according to schedule.

    Review employee timesheets prior to submission to the supervisor.

    Make timesheet entries when necessary with the supervisor's authorization.

    Work closely with HR and Payroll as questions or problems arise.

    Review leave balance and usage when requested by the supervisor.

  • As a time manager or time manager backup, what responsibilities do I have for timesheets?

    Authorize time worked for all employees supervised. Authorize leave. Authorize overtime for non-exempt employees on a bi-weekly basis.

    Review employees' leave usage and monitor potential abuse of leave.

    Edit timesheet as needed to ensure accurate reporting of time.

    Ensure that employees provide documentation for specific types of leave when required, and that employees adhere to the USM/UB/Union policies regarding leave usage.

    Complete an employee's timesheet by the due date if that employee is incapacitated.

    Approve all timesheets in the workgroup by the deadline.

  • How do I complete my timesheet?

    Job aids providing the basic steps are available in pdf format. See Timesheet Job Aids.
  • What happens if I don't complete my timesheet?

    If you fail to complete your timesheet, it is possible that you won't receive a paycheck for that pay period. If you are unable to complete your timesheet, contact your timekeeper and supervisor to arrange for them to assist you. Remember, submitting a completed timesheet is ultimately your responsibility, not your supervisor or timekeeper.

  • How many hours do I need to record on my timesheet?

    All exempt employees and full-time, non-exempt employees must record 40 hours each week (80 hours bi-weekly), using either the hours you worked or a combination of hours worked and leave time. Part-time employees record the hours prorated according to their full-time equivalent (FTE) status. For example, a half-time employee (.5 FTE) would need to record 20 hours each week (40 hours bi-weekly).

  • When is my timesheet due?

    Your timesheet is due at the end of the pay period. See Payroll Schedule.

  • When are our pay periods?

    Pay periods run for fourteen days: Wednesday at 12:00 AM to Tuesday at 11:59 PM. See Payroll Schedule.

  • When am I paid?

    Pay day falls on the Wednesday following the end of the previous pay period. See Payroll Schedule.

  • What leave codes are available to use on a timesheet?

    Click here for a list and description of codes. You can only use codes for leave to which you are entitled. For example, if you aren't entitled to sick leave (SCK), you cannot enter that code on your timesheet.

  • What type of leave do I earn?

    The type of leave you are entitled to is based on the type of employee you are, namely which pay group you fall in. Click here for a list of pay groups with leave accrual rates.

  • How often is my leave updated?

    Regular exempt, non-exempt, and faculty earn leave on a bi-weekly basis. In general, balances are updated within 48 hours after your timesheet was approved.

    Contingent II employees receive available leave at the beginning of the contract (on or about July 1st). If the contract begins after July 1st, the leave is prorated based on the remaining time of the contract. The leave is available to use at the beginning of the contract.

  • Can I change the time I recorded on my timesheet?

    Once the pay period is closed you cannot make changes to your timesheet. Consult your timekeeper or supervisor if you need to make a change to your timesheet.

    You can make changes if the pay period is open.

  • Who can answer my timesheet questions?

    The timekeeper for your department or office is the first person you should ask for assistance. You can ask co-workers for assistance but keep in mind that people may fall into different pay groups and the answer they give may not apply to your situation. You may also contact Human Resources or the Office of Technology Services Call Center.

  • How many vacation and sick days do I receive?

    The type of leave you are entitled to is based on the type of employee you are, namely which pay group you fall in. Click here for a list of pay groups with leave accrual rates.

  • Am I paid for holidays?

  • What are banked holidays?

    These are holidays when the University is open and the holiday time is used at a later date. Three holidays each year (four during a general election year) are banked for use during the holiday break at the end of the calendar year. For example, employees are awarded holiday time for the President's Day holiday but that time is used for the holiday break at the end of the year. The same is true for Columbus Day and Veteran's Day.

  • Why is time for a banked holiday showing on my timesheet and what do I do about it?

    Holiday time (HOL) appears on the timesheet when the holiday is earned. In order to bank the holiday and use it at a later date, you need to delete it from the timesheet. When you delete it from the timesheet, the time is added to your holiday leave balance.

    To delete the holiday, click the delete link at the beginning of the HOL row. Enter the hours worked as you normally would.

  • I'm a UB Police employee. When do I use holiday time?

    UB Police employees work in a department that is operational 24 hours each day. Because of the 24/7 operation, UB Police employees cannot all use holiday time on the day the University is closed. Your manager can coordinate with you to determine the best time to use the holiday time.

    UB Police employees receive holiday time 45 days before the University holiday, amounting to eleven holidays (twelve during a general election year) and three administrative holidays. These holidays may be taken within a 90-day window.

  • How do I complete and approve the last timesheet when an employee terminates?

    Regular employees enter hours through the last day worked. The remainder of the timesheet will remain blank. Do not use NOP (No Pay) for those days. Contractual employees enter actual hours through the last day worked.

  • Do F26 (10-month) faculty enter time during the summer?

    No. Time is not entered beginning with the first pay period on or around June 1 through the pay period ending on or around August 16. These timesheets are automatically approved and do not require any timekeeper or time manager approval.

  • How do I enter shift differential?

    An employee's eligibility for shift differential is governed by USM.BOR Policy 206.0VII-4.60. Eligible employees shall be paid $1.00 per hour for each hour worked on a shift that begins after 2:00 p.m. and before 2:00 a.m. To record shift differential, add the code SFT to the elapsed time page of the timesheet and record the total work hours that began on or after 2:00pm.

  • How do Sworn Police Officers record work time?

    The regular workday shall consist of eight (8) consecutive hours, inclusive of roll call and, if the demands for service permit relief, a fifteen (15) minute break period. Police Officers do not record a lunch break.

  • I am a time manager and I need to adjust hours incorrectly submitted by an employee under my supervision. How can I do this?

    If the correction needed is noticed before the deadline for employees to submit the timesheet, then the employee should be contacted and asked to correct the timesheet. If after the employee submission deadline, then the time manager should add a new row to the employee's elapsed time portion of timesheet, enter the earnings code that the employee incorrectly entered at the beginning of the new row, enter the incorrect hours as a negative under the applicable date on the same row, and then add a new row with correct earnings code and positive hours. Then the timesheet should be saved. Confirm that correct hours have been adjusted, approve timesheet as modified, and then add an explanation in the memo area indicating the reason for correction. Save timesheet again and confirm that your name shows under approval area and that memo correction information is showing correctly.

  • I am a time manager and I need to approve overtime hours submitted by an employee under my supervision. How can I do this?

    Once a non-exempt employee's timesheet has been reviewed and verified that all hours were actually worked, and the earnings code "NPW" shows on employee's timesheet, indicating that overtime was worked (more than 40 hours worked in a Wednesday – Tuesday week segment), then the "OT/Comp Authorization" link at the lower left hand of timesheet under "Return to Search" radio button needs to be clicked. This will open the screen where the overtime hours and reason for overtime hours needs to be entered. After this is completed, then return to elapsed time and save. The hours showing as NPW should now show on the timesheet as earning code "OTP". The timesheet should then have "approved as submitted" or "approved as modified" chosen and then click on "Save Timesheet." The Manager Name will display under "approved as submitted" or "approved as modified" and that will indicate that the timesheet has been properly approved.

  • I am a time manager and a non-exempt employee under my supervision submitted overtime hours (hours showing on timesheet as earning code NPW). I did not approve it on the timesheet. Will they still be paid?

    Per UB policy all overtime (OT) hours should be approved and the reason for OT noted in order to properly create a record of authorization for the payment of overtime. Per the Fair Labor Standards Act, all overtime hours that an employee actually works and records on a timesheet must be paid. This requires the payroll department to pay any overtime hours recorded as worked and approved on the timesheet (even if it still shows as earnings code NPW) to a non-exempt employee. This is true even if the supervisor has not officially approved OT through the timesheet system.

  • Why I am receiving this error message on my timesheet?

    Holiday usage exceeds available balance = Holidays are pre-printed on your timesheet when they are earned. However, the holiday will not appear in your balance UNTIL the leave accruals have been updated. You may have to wait until the second day on the timesheet to SAVE. OR You may be using more holiday time than you have accrued. Check your Holiday Leave time balance to confirm you are not submitting more Holiday time than available to you.

    The time reporting code is for use by the Time Administrator/Manager/Timekeeper only = Certain leave codes can only be used by time administrators (HR and UB payroll), or managers. For example, ACC is accident leave and must be approved and entered by a time administrator only.

    All available leave must be used before using Advanced Sick Leave. Please contact the HR office = This message will appear if you are attempting to use Advanced Sick Leave. HR/USM policies prevent use of this leave without prior approval.  Submit the appropriate request through your supervisor, then to HR, for approval.  The time administrator will allow use of this leave if approvals occur.  If not, you must use leave without pay to cover the time that is not covered by work hours.

    There was no overtime authorization for XX hours. These hours have been assigned to 'NPW' Time Reporting Code = Overtime must be approved by your supervisor in advance.  If overtime approval is not available, you are not eligible to work additional hours within the pay week, or bi-weekly pay period.

Last Published 10/2/15