With Panopto Course Capture, you can capture the video and audio feed of a lecture or presentation and package it with a single or with multiple visual aids including slideshows, screen captures or document camera images. The packaged presentations are made available to your audience on the web, allowing them to watch the presentations live or on demand.
Panopto can be used for sharing lectures as study aids or for when students cannot attend a class. Instructors may also use Panopto to capture student presentations for evaluation.
The Panopto recording software is available in:
- Academic Center: rooms 205, 207, 212, 214, 215, 202, 403, 404, and 406
- Angelos Law Center: rooms 016, 018, 019, 021, 102, 109, 202, 204, 402, 403, 407, 408, 602, 603, 607, 608, 802, 803, 910, 912 and 1002
- Angelos Law Center Clinics: 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 304, 305, 306 and 313
- Business Center: rooms 015, 205, 221, 223, 227, 305, 307, 309, 319, 321 and 323
- Langsdale Library: rooms 205 and 206
- Learning Commons: rooms 201, 203, 207
- Liberal Arts and Policy: room 305
If you have a class or a reservation for one of these rooms and wish to use Panopto, you will need to request an account.
To use and share Panopto presentations, the student, faculty or staff member needs a creator account and all viewers need a viewer account. NOTE: Only faculty and staff may request creator accounts for academic courses.
The request(s) must be submitted 5 days days before your first use by contacting OTS with the following:
- Your name
- The course(s), including complete course number (ex.: PBDS 615.085), or organization(s) for which you would like folders
- If you are requesting multiple folders, indicate which folders your viewers should be able to access. Otherwise all viewers will be given access to all of your Panopto folders.
Once OTS receives the request, the user will be directed to login to the Panopto website:
OTS will then setup creator access and schedule a training session with you. Training takes approximately one hour.
UB students by default have access to all Panopto recordings set as "public," such as certain tutorials created by the ALC or presentations by student organizations. To access the Panopto website, follow these steps:
If an instructor is using Panopto to share presentations or for a class assignment, that instructor must request accounts for the students in that class. When your account is setup to access a specific folder, you will be notified via your UB e-mail that it's available for use. You will access it using the steps listed above. If you have been given creator access, you must login to the Panopto website before recording in any classroom or Langsdale practice room.
Students can access Panopto recordings from their iPhone or iPad using the Panopto app, available from Apple’s app store.
Any UB community members who wish to use Panopto must schedule a training session through the OTS Call Center prior to your first Panopto use.
If you experience problems using Panopto during a presentation, please contact the OTS Call Center. OTS staff will assist with fixing problems with Panopto but cannot provide training during your class or meeting.