With Panopto Course Capture, you can capture the video and audio feed of a lecture or presentation and package it with a single or with multiple visual aids like a slideshow, screen capture or document camera image. The packaged presentations are made available to your audience on the Web, allowing them to watch the presentations live or on demand.
Panopto can be used for sharing lectures as study aids for students or when students cannot attend a class. Instructors may use Panopto to capture student presentations for evaluation by peers or the instructor.
The Panopto recording software is available in:
- Academic Center 212, 403, 404, and 406
- Business Center 205, 221, 305, 307, 309, 321, and 323
- Langsdale Library, rooms 205 and 206
- Law Center, rooms 201, 203, 207
- Liberal Arts and Policy, room 305
If you have a class or a reservation for one of these rooms and wish to use Panopto, you will need to request an account.
To use and share Panopto presentations, the faculty or staff member needs a creator account and all viewers need a viewer account. The faculty or staff person must submit the account request(s) 5 days days before your first use by contacting OTS with the following:
- Your name
- Your UB e-mail address
- The folder names you want created. If you're using this for different classes, we recommend that you create at least one main folder for each class.
- The names of the viewers or the complete course number (ex: PBDS 615.085). If you provide the course number, accounts will be created for all students enrolled in that class.
- If you are requesting multiple folders, indicate which folders your viewers should be able to access. Otherwise all viewers will be given access to all of your Panopto folders.
After an account is created, the person will receive a notification at the e-mail address you provided. If you requested accounts for your class or another UB faculty or staff member, the person will login using their netID and password.
When the setup is complete, we will provide you with Panopto instructions and encourage you to setup a training session with OTS.
If your instructor is using Panopto to share presentations or for a class assignment, the instructor needs to request accounts for the students in that class. When your account is setup, you will be notified via your UB e-mail that it's available for use. You will use your netID and password to access it. This is the same account information used for the portal and UB e-mail.
Students can access Panopto recordings from their iPhone or iPad using the Panopto app, available from Apple’s app store.
Any faculty and staff wishing to use Panopto are encouraged to schedule a training session through the OTS Call Center prior to your first Panopto use.
If you experience problems using Panopto during a presentation, please contact the OTS Call Center. OTS staff will assist with fixing problems with Panopto but cannot provide training during your class or meeting.