UBalt students, faculty, and staff are able to use Microsoft Teams and SharePoint, web-based tools used for collaborating on documents, projects, and community groups.
SharePoint offers robust document sharing and management with customizable permission levels, storage, document libraries, calendars, web pages, and more. Microsoft Teams provides document sharing as well, with a focus on collaboration tools. This includes persistent chat, meetings, and calls.
SharePoint or Teams?
Which Microsoft tool is best for you? That will depend on the needs of your shared space. Here are some ways they are unique.
Microsoft Teams (learn more)
- a user-friendly interface
- integrated chat (private or group), calendar, file access for the group
- simplified team membership/managements (owner, member, guest) managed by the team owner(s)
- channels for different topics or different members
- robust directory structure
- customizable file/folder permissions at the control of the site owner/admin, not Technology Services
The best choice comes down to your needs for file permissions or your needs for a highly-collaborative workspace. One is not better than the other, they are simply different platforms.
How do I get a Sharepoint Site or Teams Site?
UBalt community members can request a SharePoint Site here. After your request is submitted you will be contacted to ensure a SharePoint site is your best option.
Microsoft Teams Sites can be created by you at any time through the Teams client or the Office 365 website. (more information will be provided)
Question & Answer
How do I follow a Sharepoint site?Once signed on to a Site, in the top right corner, click the “follow” star. The Site will then be listed in your index of Sites under the Sites tab next time you sign into any of the Office 365 tools, including Outlook online.
Are there quota limits on SharePoint or Teams sites?
Yes, there are 3 important SharePoint limits:
- The default limit for a SharePoint Site is 10 GB. Limits can be increased to 1 TB.
- Individual file size is limited to 2 GB.
- A document library can hold 5,000 items total. This includes files and folders.
Click here for a list of limitations on Teams. Storage limits outlined above apply to Teams as well.
How do I share manage permissions for my SharePoint site?If you are the administrator of a team site, you can manage who can access the site. From your Sites page, select the site you want to share and select Share. You'll then type the name of the UBalt person you are sharing with.
How do I manage a document including checking it out and selecting a version?These topics are covered in detail in the Getting Started Guide.
Do either replace R or T drives or Sakai project sites?
Both are potential replacements for network drives and preferable over project sites in Sakai. Currently, network drives are still available.