Skip to content
Main Content

Make sure you are eligible to receive financial aid!

To receive federal, state, and institutional financial aid, you will need to:

  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • be registered with the Selective Service if required
  • have a valid Social Security number
  • not be in default on a loan or owe a repayment on a grant at any institution
  • not have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs while receiving Title IV aid
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

State and private financial aid programs may have other requirements.

  • Eligible non-citizens

    If you hold one of the following statuses, you are eligible to complete the FAFSA:

    • U.S. national
    • Permanent resident
    • Arrival-Departure Record indicating one of the following: refugee, asylum granted, Cuban-Haitian entrant (status pending), conditional entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980), parolee
    • Battered Immigrant Status
    • T-visa or parent holds a T-1 visa
    • Citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau
  • Notification of Eligibility

    Each year the Office of Financial Aid will begin awarding financial aid for students in Early April. Students will be notified of receipt of their FAFSA as well as any documentation needed by email and their To Do lists on MyUB. Award notices will be sent by email, and awards can be viewed on MyUB in the My Student Center section. Scholarship information may be available before need based awards, the need based awards are then added once your eligibility can be determined.

    At this point, the amount of the award is just an estimate, based on the information you provided on your admissions application, your FAFSA and your prior grades. You'll receive a financial aid award notice via email that will ask you to go to MyUB view your need based aid and indicate whether you accept or reject any self-help aid that you have been offered.

    Once the Add/Drop period has passed the Office of Financial Aid will review your award based on actual enrollment, make any revisions necessary, and finalize your award. If any revisions have occurred to your original award, you will be notified. You must also notify the Office of Financial Aid of any awards or resources not listed on the award letter.

    Revisions -- If your actual enrollment and/or FAFSA information differs from the information your award was based on, there may be a significant difference in the final award. If any changes result in a decrease in aid and a refund has already been posted, you will be responsible for any account balance.

    Missing information -- If additional information is required in order to process your application for financial aid, you will receive a missing information email. It is recommended that you periodically check your To Do list on MyUB. Verification, citizenship, selective service documents should be submitted immediately if requested to avoid delays in processing the awards. Failure to submit the information requested in a timely manner will delay application processing.

  • Financial Aid Revisions

    Circumstances may require that a your aid package be revised in the following cases:

    Change in enrollment-- Students are awarded financial aid based on a combination of expected enrollment and actual enrollment if available. Awards are later adjusted based on actual enrollment. This is most common with Pell Grants, eligibility for Pell is determined by EFC, Enrollment and Prior awards Students can use the Pell Calculator to determine how eligibility will be calculated and changed if needed.

    Withdrawal from school -- Students contemplating withdrawing from classes should make an appointment to see a financial aid counselor. The current semester's aid as well as future aid may be jeopardized.

    Receipt of other financial aid -- This includes aid not awarded through the financial aid office, including institutional, state and private donor scholarships, remitted tuition, graduate assistantships and other aid that we become aware of after the student has been awarded.

    Change in residency status -- Students who are granted in-state residency after they receive an award based on out-of-state residence will receive a budget adjustment, which reflects the in-state charges for tuition and fees. This may require an adjustment to aid awarded and/or received. In such cases, funds may be returned to the appropriate financial aid programs to prevent an over award.

    Federal Verification Process -- Students who are selected for verification will need to submit federal taxes, a verification worksheet and other documentation to the UB Office of Financial Aid. This information may require changes be made to the original FAFSA information, resulting in changes in eligibility.

Last Published 10/9/17